Eken M004 Irobot2?? which one?

justixia

Jul 2, 2010
HI, like many of you over here I'm growing interest in buying an android tablet but right now I'm quite puzzled about 'which one' and were to buy it.
I read (but I know already many of the negative aspects of buying from China) most of the stuff here and I stumbled upon this model over Fastcardtech, the Eken M004 that looks promising BUT it seems to have an ARM cpu instead of the most reliable RK 2808 although they are not really clear on which CPU this model is actually based on...

Anyone knows a bit more? Any good and reliable european reseller?

joshua.lyon

Jun 11, 2010
HI, like many of you over here I'm growing interest in buying an android tablet but right now I'm quite puzzled about 'which one' and were to buy it.
I read (but I know already many of the negative aspects of buying from China) most of the stuff here and I stumbled upon this model over Fastcardtech, the Eken M004 that looks promising BUT it seems to have an ARM cpu instead of the most reliable RK 2808 although they are not really clear on which CPU this model is actually based on...

I'm not familiar with that model, but if you're looking for a good vendor that you can be sure will ship you a unit with a good processor you can check out the Moonse E-7001 from Merimobiles. I bought a unit from there and I'm happy with the product.

pawnslinger

Jul 2, 2010
The RK 2808 is an ARM chip. I think almost all of the Android tablets run some variety of the ARM design. They simply license their design to other companies to tweak and make their own. The M001 has a VIA version of the ARM. The RK2808 is a Rockchip manufacture (I think). They are very similar chips, I have noticed that many of the apad's with a Rockchip also have a DSP. This is very helpful, if present, because the DSP offloads a lot of work from the CPU when playing music and video. So I would prefer systems with the DSP. I don't think that the M001 has a DSP. Some ARM implementations have a DSP built-into the CPU chip itself, perhaps the Rockchip is an example of this,because the two seem to go together often.

justixia

Jul 2, 2010

I'm not familiar with that model, but if you're looking for a good vendor that you can be sure will ship you a unit with a good processor you can check out the Moonse E-7001 from Merimobiles. I bought a unit from there and I'm happy with the product.

Thanks.

THe Capacitive screen seems more reliable and that is why I think I will chek this model out OR wait for something to happen that has better Touch experience, BTW.. How about the Moonse E-7001 WiFi signal? is it ok? does it handle right or do you have to be close to the router to get a proper connection?

corgrath

Jul 5, 2010
I don't want to spoil the thread, but Ive owned the M001 and the M003. I cant say about the M004, but have owned both 1 and 3, I don't recommend them. They are crazy slow and unusable.

As I said, I can't say anthing about the M004, but obviously M003 is an upgrade to M001 and I can't say it was any improvement at all :/

pawnslinger

Jul 2, 2010
I don't want to spoil the thread, but Ive owned the M001 and the M003. I cant say about the M004, but have owned both 1 and 3, I don't recommend them. They are crazy slow and unusable.

As I said, I can't say anthing about the M004, but obviously M003 is an upgrade to M001 and I can't say it was any improvement at all :/

I don't think that I have seen any specs for the M004 yet. The Eken website just has some pictures of it. I haven't seen it for sale anywhere yet. The Eken picutres look nice. But it needs a more powerful processor than the previous Eken models, if it hopes to compete. A capacitive screen would also be nice.

In my opinion, the M001 thru M003 need improvement in 4 key areas: stronger processor, more ram memory, better screen, and all need the Android marketplace.

The Eken devices all seem to have Android 1.6, but Rockchip designs seem to be limited to Android 1.5. In my opinion, Android 1.6 is going to be the minimum desireable... I think many apps require 1.6 as a minimum, such as the new Android Kindle app from Amazon. As a committed Kindle user, I wouldn't own a tablet that couldn't run the Kindle app... this is my first requirement of any tablet.