[fix] Acer A100 ICS update

D

dvdcatalyst

This doesn't apply anymore !

I made this post at the beginning of the month, shortly after ICS was originally released for the A100.

Now, at the time of writing this, 2 weeks later, Acer started rolling out updates for the other models as well.

Since last week, every day, I've been doing a check update on my A100 in order to get ICS on it, without any luck.

So yesterday I spent some digging, and found out what the problem was.

My A100 was running a "gen2" firmware version, and come to find out, I never did get any updates for it.

So yesterday I stumbled upon this post on XDA:

xda-developers - View Single Post - ICS OTA update?

and after I updated to a gen1 firmware, I started getting updates, and am currently running the official ICS on my A100.

Installing the

SD_Acer_A100_2.007.04_COM_GEN1_full_user

file on my A100 worked fine for me. After that, the updates came in by itself.

The link points to a post that has all the info you need. Just follow the instructions there. Make sure you read the articles the post links to.

Last edited by a moderator:

mlewis6996

May 1, 2012
dvdcatalyst said:
Since last week, every day, I've been doing a check update on my A100 in order to get ICS on it, without any luck.

So yesterday I spent some digging, and found out what the problem was.

My A100 was running a "gen2" firmware version, and come to find out, I never did get any updates for it.

So yesterday I stumbled upon this post on XDA:

xda-developers - View Single Post - ICS OTA update?

and after I updated to a gen1 firmware, I started getting updates, and am currently running the official ICS on my A100.

Installing the

SD_Acer_A100_2.007.04_COM_GEN1_full_user

file on my A100 worked fine for me. After that, the updates came in by itself.

The link points to a post that has all the info you need. Just follow the instructions there. Make sure you read the articles the post links to.

I got ALL of the updates. Just waited. It updated to 3.2.1 last week n I got 3 updates today, last one being ICS. didn't have to downgrade to gen2 at all.

mlewis6996

May 1, 2012
mlewis6996 said:
I got ALL of the updates. Just waited. It updated to 3.2.1 last week n I got 3 updates today, last one being ICS. didn't have to downgrade to gen2 at all.

Gen1.......ugh....autocorrect.

D

dvdcatalyst

Gen1.......ugh....autocorrect.

I think today, the updates started rolling out for "gen2". Before I did those steps, I never had any updates pushed to my A100, and ICS was also already pushed to all the "gen1" A100's.

It was likely a way for Acer to spread the load on their servers.

mlewis6996

May 1, 2012
dvdcatalyst said:
I think today, the updates started rolling out for "gen2". Before I did those steps, I never had any updates pushed to my A100, and ICS was also already pushed to all the "gen1" A100's.

It was likely a way for Acer to spread the load on their servers.

I didn't either. But I'm still under warranty so I'm not gonna take the chance of doing any modifications n bricking it so I just waited.

ChrisB

Dec 11, 2011
I have been getting updates over the last few days on and off (I haven't been using my tablet much). Today it said there was a new iupdate which I applied, and that installed ICS.

D

dvdcatalyst

I have been getting updates over the last few days on and off (I haven't been using my tablet much). Today it said there was a new iupdate which I applied, and that installed ICS.

Hi Chris,

My original post was at the beginning of the month, just after ICS was released for the A100.

People with a gen1 device were already getting the update, but mine came with a gen2 firmware version, and I was not receiving any updates at all.
After I did the fix, my A100 got the updates and ICS within minutes.

I am sure that if I would have left it alone, I would have gotten the update this week as well, but of course, thats almost 3 weeks later.

orest

May 31, 2012
I am still on 3.2.1 gen2 and waiting for ics. Customer service has been useless, even level 2. I will try your fix as waiting has yielded nothing.

Hi Chris,

My original post was at the beginning of the month, just after ICS was released for the A100.

People with a gen1 device were already getting the update, but mine came with a gen2 firmware version, and I was not receiving any updates at all.
After I did the fix, my A100 got the updates and ICS within minutes.

I am sure that if I would have left it alone, I would have gotten the update this week as well, but of course, thats almost 3 weeks later.