Fixing wireless problems via hard reset

adambravo

Apr 18, 2012
Just got a new Vizio 8 and immediately got the prompt to upgrade to Honeycomb. Had a few issues connecting to wifi at work and chatted with Vizio; here's what they said...

Kali: I see your tablet isn't connecting to your wireless network?
chat_enduser_message.png
Adam Bernard: At the moment, no. It's connected before.
chat_enduser_message.png
Adam Bernard: And, now that I look at the tablet, I see it is connected--it took well over 5min.
chat_agent.png
Kali: Here at VIZIO we pride ourselves in providing best in class customer support and all of our support is U.S. based, and I can assist you with that.
chat_agent.png
Kali: Do you have anything saved to your SD card that you want to keep?
chat_enduser_message.png
Adam Bernard: Just wondering if there's something in Settings I need to adjust.
chat_enduser_message.png
Adam Bernard: No, I have nothing on my SD card--I just installed one last night.
chat_agent.png
Kali: Okay, we can get the tablet to connect faster, but we do need to reset it. To do that, tap on Settings, then tap on Privacy and tap on Factory Data Reset. The tablet will turn off and back on and you'll have to go through the setup screens again, but it should help you connect faster.
chat_enduser_message.png
Adam Bernard: Uh, no. I've had the tablet for about two whole days--and it arrived with the factory settings. The notion that I have to hard-reset it again and reload and readjust everything is preposterous.
chat_agent.png
Kali: The Internet connection will stay slow, if you reset it, it will fix any wireless issues. Most likely you'll end up having to reset it at a later date so it would be easier to do now than to wait until after you have multiple applications and other things on your SD card that you'd lose.
chat_enduser_message.png
Adam Bernard: I'm sorry, but if I have to hard reset the unit after only two days, what's to say that I won't have to do that again in a week? I already have multiple applications loaded (and I'm not sure what the SD card has to do with this anyway).
chat_agent.png
Kali: Any data from the applications is stored on the SD card. The Honeycomb update that the tablet should have installed is what is causing the wireless connection issue, the way to fix it is to reset the tablet. After that it will be fine. The same thing happened to my tablet and it works perfectly after the reset.
chat_enduser_message.png
Adam Bernard: So will I need to re-update with Honeycomb?
chat_agent.png
Kali: No, it will do it on its own.
chat_enduser_message.png
Adam Bernard: So it will reboot to Gingerbread and then reinstall Honeycomb?
chat_agent.png
Kali: Yes, but without the wireless issue.
chat_enduser_message.png
Adam Bernard: Still not clear how this is different from opening a brand new tablet and updating to Honeycomb, which I did two days ago.
chat_agent.png
Kali: The longer you wait to reset it the more issues you're going to have restoring it and the more data you're going to lose. If you reset it now, you wont lose anything but your applications and the wireless problem that you're having now wont be there. After you set up the tablet it isn't at factory settings any more and the more you download and install the more problems can occur. So its easier to reset it as soon as possible to fix any problems than to wait and cause more.

Yes, and the irony that I was chatting with the "fearful and ferocious form of the Mother Goddess" via tech support was not lost on me. Thoughts on this 'solution'?

Deandec

Nov 25, 2011
Take the SD card out and reset it. Its like unplugging your DVR or TV etc to reset. Sometimes it just needs to be done if you want the result.

adambravo

Apr 18, 2012
Take the SD card out and reset it. Its like unplugging your DVR or TV etc to reset. Sometimes it just needs to be done if you want the result.

Thanks--but do you mean a 'soft' reset or a 'hard' reset (eg, wipe everything and go back to factory settings)?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
What is the aversion to trying the factory reset? That may not be the only way to fix the problem but it may be the one that works best. The Vizio rep. is right, it is easier to do it now than when you have much more loaded on it. I can see how you may have been frustrated by certain parts of the help and not everything the rep. said is 100% right but she is just following a script.

Yes, you just got the tablet but that doesn't mean it was 100% correct out of the box. Furthermore, your update to Honeycomb may not have installed 100% correctly regardless on the condition of the tablet out of the box. If it requires a reset to get the update running properly, then reset it now while there is less to lose or restore.

JP

Kemper

Mar 15, 2012
I think I talked to the same "Mother Godess" after the first rep had no clue when I first did the HC update and had your same problems. I was on for almost two hours and did two resets. Still is slow as dirt. My gingerbread tab is still fast as hell, doesn't crash and generally works better. The only downside is I can't send programs to the SD card. Debating whether that is worth giving up a stable platform.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Wow, Kemper I'm glad to hear you are pleased with the performance of the Vtab, but I wouldn't call the Vtab fast with any OS and can't imagine HC is that much slower than GB. Maybe you still have some HC install issues. The Vtab doesn't really have the best specs but it is decent for it's sub $200 price. Benchmarks aren't everything but using Quadrant as one point of reference the Vtab is pretty far down the list as far as performance goes.

Would you mind doing a Quadrant or AnTuTu benchmark with each of your tablets? That would be a good way to see if there is much of a difference between the two. I am guessing the results will be between 900 and 1000 for Quadrant. Also pay attention to the FPS rate in the video tests and see if one is better than the other.

Mine gets a score of ~950 in daily driver form (not trying for a high score) and runs the 3D graphics at about 28 FPS.

Kemper

Mar 15, 2012
Be glad to, but don't have a clue how to. I think the HC is faster than the GB, BUT it keeps crashing. I took your advice and I have started deleting apps if they crash. I haven't deleted Dolphin, but it will crash when it goes to some sites. And you are right, it's fast for the price. My Fire is faster for reading and booting up and has never crashed. My son's Ipad are fast as **** too, but they were $800. Post how to do the tests or email my registration email. Let me know if you email it, since I don't go to my Yahoo account often.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Be glad to, but don't have a clue how to. I think the HC is faster than the GB, BUT it keeps crashing. I took your advice and I have started deleting apps if they crash. I haven't deleted Dolphin, but it will crash when it goes to some sites. And you are right, it's fast for the price. My Fire is faster for reading and booting up and has never crashed. My son's Ipad are fast as **** too, but they were $800. Post how to do the tests or email my registration email. Let me know if you email it, since I don't go to my Yahoo account often.

I just started a new thread for this. Basically just go to the Play store and download and run the benchmark apps. I'll pick up your issue with crashing in the other thread.