FOOD FOR THOUGHT Whats the value of buying the NT

tonyp

Nov 1, 2011
I had heard this about a Netflix contract stipulation as well, and actually, that's what started my post about v1.4.1 in the nook color section. That particular version now offers Netflix on the NC too.

But is this Netflix HD on the Nook Color? If so it throws a whole new light on things. In any event, the team on XDA Developers is still dissecting the mysteries of the NT, and making some progress. It's just unfortunate that the early negative posts about the NT's rootability (on XDA) may have dissuaded some of the enthusiasts from participating. There are I think only two or three people with a high level skill set working on the NT. Could have been more.

sjbenes

Dec 7, 2011
But is this Netflix HD on the Nook Color?

Good point Tony, I honestly don't know. The B&N web site doesn't mention HD Netflix capability for either the NC or NT. I guess we'll have to wait and see if some more detailed specs come out at some point. Probably from an independent reviewer...

Scott

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I don't have the specific citations but I believe you are dealing with two different things. The first is the Netflix app in the Market which it should be noted was only available on certain devices when it first came out with original explanation from Netflix that they had to make sure devices were compatible. This lead to some device spoofing to allow downloads from the Market. Not long after it seems Netflix made the app widely available.

The second is a first party app granting exclusive access to Netflix on specific devices. Perhaps one of you with a NT can comment whether the Netflix app on the NT is identical to the Market version or a special version of the app only on the NT (maybe related to HD/non-HD but not necessarily)? If it is special then it may explain why devices running the Market version don't need the same hardware requirement.

Netflix website (https://signup.netflix.com/EULA) has a EULA where 10.2 covers DRM which must be in compliance with Microsoft PlayReady to access PlayReady and/or WMDRM protected content (Compliance Rules and Robustness Rules for Microsoft PlayReady). If a device doesn't meet the requirements then it won't be granted access.

So although it seems like a contradiction that the Nook Color and other devices can access Netflix without hardware restrictions but Nook Tablet may have been required to be locked down for Netflix, it is possible. I believe this was the same situation with iTunes/DRM/AAC initially that was one of the reasons Apple locked into their own format to assure the recording industry of controls on devices that would work and not be able to circumvent DRM. Of course the model is flawed and it is impossible to control DRM through hardware. There are always exceptions and ways around it but it just makes it all a big headache on all sides.

tonyp

Nov 1, 2011
Well, what I can say is that on the NT the Netflix capability is able to stream HD content.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Well, what I can say is that on the NT the Netflix capability is able to stream HD content.

*DON'T TRY THIS I DON'T WANT TO MESS UP THE BUILT IN APP*. You are rooted and have Market right? What happens if you try and go get the Netflix app? *DON'T TRY THIS I DON'T WANT TO MESS UP THE BUILT IN APP.*

I guess what I'm saying is if you compare the NT Netflix and the Market Netflix I wonder if there is a difference other than HD? Custom interface or something like that. No mention of HD in the Market or iTunes info pages. This Engadget article has some info on TI OMAP 4 being the first certified chip to have the security to run HD Netflix for Android gets first HD streaming certification, Texas Instruments accepts your applause -- Engadget. Pretty sure that is the difference and why NT is locked.

Last edited:

sjbenes

Dec 7, 2011
Pretty sure that is the difference and why NC is locked.

Wait, we're talking about the NT being locked, right? Not the NC? The tablet has the OMAP 4 processor, so it's the one that can play HD streaming video from Netflix. I suppose the Netflix app that comes with the NC 1.4.1 upgrade must be standard definition? At least that would be my guess, and therefore, it's probably very similar to the downloadable app from the Market.

Good article by the way JP, that's actually pretty big news...

And if I understand it all correctly, it seems that TI has also included it's WiLink 6.0 chip? That looks like a very bonus chip, WiFi, Bluetooth, and FM. Oh, the possibilities...

Read this article:
An exciting chapter for reading and entertainment lovers alike: The OMAP4430 processor-based NOOK

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Yes, I meant the Nook Tablet. Original post updated. I also think that the apps must be fairly similar just because Netflix isn't going to want to update multiple versions for different devices. Still It might have a feature or two more in addition to HD.

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
i think this is where i disagree - the price is the reason to question the value - last year when all quality tablets were in the $500 price points, the Nook Color was the best deal around, these days you can have a much more full featured Asus A7 or a lenovo 7 inch for the same price as the nook tablet, you can have a much more open Kindle Fire for less than the price of a NT - if they had priced the NT at $200 then it would have been the tablet to have

and the more i use my samsung tab for video calling and comparison shopping (using google goggles) the more i realize a camera is a must have on a tablet - at $250 there are quality tablets that come with camera and bluetooth

I think the price range it's in is still a huge draw for a lot of people. That price allows accessibility by people who can't or just won't, spend $500+ on the fastest and most elaborate tablet out there. Especially if their new to Android (like me). Of course, the fatal mistakes B&N made were locking down the bootloader, restricting the memory usage, and not including bluetooth (which is probably in there, just not turned on). But all in all, the NT is a great device that goes well beyond the eReader category, and is making a lot of the big names in the business start to think about what people would really like to see for a lower price. Even the iPad's don't give you an sd card slot, and if you want 3G, you're going to have to pay a ridiculously high price to get it.

If you want to use it for business, etc., then yes, this is probably not the device for you, but for most of us casual users, this will suffice. And if/when the bootloader is unlocked (or B&N realizes what a marketing blunder they made by locking it), then this will have all the potential of the dual bootable NC, but with better hardware specs. And let's not forget that it will allow side loading apps right out of the box. A camera, well it might be nice if it was actually up around 8Mpx, but other than that, I wouldn't use it anyway, so I don't see that as a must have option.

Bottom line is that for the price, it's a solid device with really great potential.