For Parents Who Bought the Toys R Us BF Deal - Sylvania 7" SYTAB7MX

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
Hi Lazlow,

Welcome to the board, glad you joins us! What exactly do you mean by a white paper? I am at a loss as to what that means in terms of a tablet. :)

AleyFamily08

Dec 7, 2011
I have a question after doing all of this do you think there is enough apps on the android market for a 4 y old? My son steals my ipad all the time and I am trying to get him something that he can use that is sorta like it. I have 2 of them that I purchased on BF @ toysrus.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I have a question after doing all of this do you think there is enough apps on the android market for a 4 y old? My son steals my ipad all the time and I am trying to get him something that he can use that is sorta like it. I have 2 of them that I purchased on BF @ toysrus.

There are thousands upon thousands of apps in the Android Markets. Yes that is plural since there is more than one to choose from. You don't have to be worried about a lack of apps :) The current count is something like 360,000 Apple apps to 320,000 Android apps.

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
Hi AleyFamily08,

Welcome to the board. I am sure that your kids will enjoy the tablets. However they need to be sure not to be too rough on the screens, there are no replacement screens available yet, and I heard those are easy to break on the sylvania and other tablets with the resistive touch screens. Your iPad has a capacitive touch screen, if you want to know the difference between them I have a link to a wiki article on this subject in my signature. :)

suelough

Dec 14, 2011
Hi all - just got a Sylvania 7" for a child's Christmas gift. Would anyone be able to tell me where I can get a protective cover (or case) and also a screen protector? Thanks so much!

DenimGod

Dec 19, 2011
yes it will daphne.. i had to tweak the setting after i rooted it and it works with out the stylus now.... and better wifi after some settings was tweaked.. Also have to root it first to do all the modifying for amazon app market, google app market and others.... easy to root and modify.

Help! I cannot get the Market App to work. I've looked all over the internet and Youtube trying to figure this out.
Can anyone shed light on what settings they used to get this to work, or any side apps needed to launch it or something?!
Thank you in advance! My husband will be sol excited to get this.... IF I can get this working before Christmas. He's using a little 4" screen to watch his Netflix, so I thought this would be much better for him, he deserves it!

DenimGod

Dec 19, 2011
**Update** 11/30/2011 - Just installed Android Market and can download apps from it.. also the rest of google apps... including... maps, voice, streets, mail, chat ... If you need help.. will tell you how to root it and install the True Google Market and apps.. Going to write a tutorial on this Tablet... Sylvania SyTab7Mx rooted and running all Google Apps.

How was Android Market ? cannot get through this! Also the Launcher Pro, I installed it, but cannot find the actual program!
Any help of course is much appreciated!
Thank you!

bhakeman

Dec 5, 2011
I received the SYTAB7MX as a birthday gift over the weekend. So far, it's what I was looking for, an eReader that I can use to surf the web. I haven't picked up a screen protector, but it's on my to-do list before I let my 5 year old see it. It worked fine out of the box, my only complaint being the stock browser, but DolphinHD fixed that. Kobo eReader is handy, and there are a few titles in their free section I already downloaded, but couldn't use it to read Adobe Digital Editions from our local library, but aldiko works just fine.

I wished this model came with a stylus like some of the other 7" models from Sylvania did, but my fingernails and a stylus from a dead Palm Pilot will have to do.

just my opinion on this one, so far.

stingray40

Dec 6, 2011
I received the SYTAB7MX as a birthday gift over the weekend. So far, it's what I was looking for, an eReader that I can use to surf the web. I haven't picked up a screen protector, but it's on my to-do list before I let my 5 year old see it. It worked fine out of the box, my only complaint being the stock browser, but DolphinHD fixed that. Kobo eReader is handy, and there are a few titles in their free section I already downloaded, but couldn't use it to read Adobe Digital Editions from our local library, but aldiko works just fine.

I wished this model came with a stylus like some of the other 7" models from Sylvania did, but my fingernails and a stylus from a dead Palm Pilot will have to do.

I know, mine did not come with one. I bought my "kit" at Toys R Us. $35.00 for two rubber type skins, two clear screen protectors, a stylus and a leather (??) case that allows you to use it as a stand.

chemosh6969

Dec 22, 2011
Don't go into it thinking you can easily get Angry Birds and Netflix for your kids. You will be very disappointed. The app market that comes with it is not that great.

You will need to root the tablet... You can now download either the Amazon Appstore for Android or the Android Marketplace and get the more popular apps your kids will enjoy....

I picked this up last night and actually, you can easily get Angry Birds and Netflix installed. You don't need to root it to install the Amazon Appstore. You just go to Amazon's main app store page, enter your email on the right and they send you a link to download/install the file. The tablet already had the install from unknown sources box checked, so it was as simple as clicking on the link in the email.

Then install the apps from there as you'd normally do it.

Seawolf68

Dec 28, 2011
I got the SYTAB7MX Android version DG2.20, Hardware ID 11.2.7.4 Fireware ID DG2.2.1-7C1.b1.

I am trying to do what you talked about but am unable to download Launcher Pro on it, it keeps wanting to go to the SlideME SAM 4.0 market place. I tried to use the Power Launcher Pro from that site and it does not give me the Developer tab.

Can you help me?

stingray40

Dec 6, 2011

Get a screen protector ASAP. I bought the kit for my 7" tablet and did not put it on right away. Used the stylus that came in the kit and noticed marks on my screen. They sort of wiped off but not completely. I have the SYNET7LP-DS model and I can type on the screen with just using the tips of my fingers (no fingernails needed). It seems sensitive enough to not have to push hard to type either.