Galaxy Tab Keeps Dying, Switching Off at 50% Battery Life

teddybear154

Jun 2, 2011
Hi I wonder if any one can help me. I have A samsung galaxy tablet. Model GT-P1000. The battery life hasn't been that good since got it in January. I recently decided to upgrade it from froyo 2.2 to gingerbread. Once I upgraded it every thing went fine and the tablet was working well. The battery life seemed to be alot better after upgrading to gingerbread. Now 1 week after upgrading to ginger bread My galaxy tab has started to gain a problem. The battery is running out really quick when the battery gets to 50% there are no warning messages. The tablet just beeps, dies and switches off. I have looked at the battery usage and it doesn't make sense. It says the battery usage is as follows..

Android system 94%
Display 2%
Wifi 2%
Cell standby 2%
Bluetooth 2%

What could the problem be and how can I fix it . Any advice would be much appreciated

thanks in advance

morrighu

Jun 3, 2011
Understand that just because the screen is off doesn't mean that your device isn't doing stuff. Unless you specifically power it off by holding down the power button and waiting for the menu, the only thing you're turning off is the screen. Your device will attempt to go into a stand-by mode but apps and other things can keep it running.

Go to the market and install SEEPU and configure it to log what is using your CPU. It may take a few days of tracking your apps to see which one(s) are problems. Check your log files and see if that gives you any clues. If you can't find SEEPU, you should be able to find something similar that will log exactly which apps are using your CPU and when. If you keep seeing something at 3AM, when you know you're sleeping, that some up and runs for hours, that's a good indicator that you have a battery vampire on your hands.

There is an app called PhoneUsage that will let you track your "background" data transfer. Again, it will take some time and checking the log files to see if you can identify the culprit. Keep the phone out of stand by and running the CPU and radio to exchange data can also drain a battery and many apps are bad about this. PhoneUsage isn't the only one - but it's pretty easy to examine the log files.

In the mean time, try the following:

• Adjust how often your email, calendar, and contacts sync. If you get a lot of email or have a large contacts list, this can help with battery life.
  • Make sure that you have your live wallpaper turned off. I know it's not as pretty but a static image, and esp. a dark one will use less power.
  • Make sure that you're not running some kind of a screen saver. Screen on = battery draining.
  • Check for apps that might be doing a lot of background data transfer. These include things like Facebook, Stock Market Apps, News & Weather Apps, Streaming Music and Video apps, Instant Messenger apps.
  • Note: If you got your device from Sprint, you also probably got the "Hillbilly Upgrade Package" which includes a lot of Sprint apps that like to start and run on their own for absolutely no apparent reason. These include NFL, NASCAR, Sprint TV, Qik Video, Sprint Media Hub, Sprint Hotspot, Sprint ID, and some other things. I've never ever once opened NFL yet I've caught it running on my phone several times until I froze it with Titanium Backup.
As another note, at least for the smart phones, removing any or all of the Hillbilly Upgrade package results in not being able to update your device. The best method I have found is to root the device and use Titanium Backup to freeze and unfreeze the apps. Since TB will run as root, freezing them changes the file permissions so that the apps can't run. Unfreezing them simply sets the file permissions back again. Since the files are still present, updating seems to work just fine, although you may need to refreeze the apps.

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
"Hillbilly upgrade package" - too funny! Not to mention the Sprint ID upgrade package which sucks down memory resources.

conchchowder

Mar 19, 2011
Nowhere did I see a mention of your checking the "turn-off at "x" percent" of battery usage. Did you check that parameter?

cnjcnj

Aug 5, 2011
My Galaxy tablet is doing exactly the same thing although I have not upgraded...still on 2.2. Like you I bought my tablet in January and it worked fine for 3 months. Now, even after fully charging the battery, I am lucky to get 30 minutes browsing with it via Wifi. I have reported the problem to Samsung who told me to reset the tablet to factory settings. I did this but the problem remains. I have seen other postings complaining about the Samsung Galaxy battery and I would suggest you log a complaint with Samsung as well.

natalie1984

Oct 27, 2011
my galaxy tab is facing the same problem when i was using 2.2. Then the samsung guy suggest me to reset. After i reset, i upgraded it to 2.3. Working fine for 2 months... now the problem resurface...

I will charge my tab, once it shows 100%, i unplugged, then immediately the bar turn 51% then in less than 5 minutes, battery dead....

There are times when i am more lucky, i charge the phone, after charging for three-four hours, still at 51%...... then i am able to use the tab for a good 2-3 hours....

and i just bought the tab for less than a year!! Samsung seriously has to do something about the battery....

Graywind

Dec 30, 2011
My Tab with 2.2 JUST started doing this 2 days ago. It had been doing fine since I got it back in Feb. '11. I have run the battery down low in the past but for the last 2 days it reaches 30% and suddenly drops right to 3%, beeps and says it is about to die (not a quote) and to connect a charger. After the first time I thought it may just have gone low without my knowing so I paid CLOSE attention and saw that it IS at 30% that it goes bad.
Any suggestions?

ozjockey

Jun 7, 2012
My Samsung Galaxy Tab 1000 has been gradually de-railing in the same manner, it's about 18 months old and the battery is surely Flocked! it lasts 30 mins max and by the time it gets to 75% it just shuts down and when you reboot it is at 1% or something. I have searched everywhere for some guidance but unfortunately haven't found anything that makes sense or actually works. Samsung here (I am in Thailand) have got the worst most pathetic service you could imagine and what they often do is take the device for 3-4 weeks and (seeing they can't fix it) give it back to you in exactly the same state it was in when you brought it in. I guess they reckon if they do that enough times you will go away and not come back (Common Thai thinking). So yeah I would NEVER EVER recommend any form of Samsung Galaxy Tab to anyone even people I don't like, but Jeez trying to at least get this piece of expensive junk to give me more than 20-30 mins working life is seemingly impossible. I would be keen to find out if anyone has found a way to fix the battery problems in the Samsung Galaxy Tab.

easter

Jun 25, 2012
It seems it's a common issue with P1000 battery. It's starting to die after approximately a year of use (equal to Samsung warranty period — 1 year). I tried to rollback to Froyo when it started to happen, reflash to Gingerbread again, clear battery stats, run dozens of full recharge cycles (with phone off or on, no matter) — it is only a waste of time. The symtom — when voltage tragically slumps on some significant power load — began to appear more and more frequently. Now my phone is turned off each time it runs lower than 50% and I receive a call (actually, I hear 1 or 2 ringtones, then it blacks off).
So the solution is the battery replacement. This is not a software or battery stats problem.

JHA453

Sep 17, 2012
my galaxy tab is facing the same problem when i was using 2.2. Then the samsung guy suggest me to reset. After i reset, i upgraded it to 2.3. Working fine for 5 months... now the problem resurface...

I will charge my tab, once it shows 100%, i unplugged, then immediately the bar turn 51% then in less than 5 minutes, battery dead....

There are times when i am more lucky, i charge the phone, after charging for three-four hours, still at 51%...... then i am able to use the tab for a good 2-3 hours....

and i just bought the tab for less than a year!! Samsung seriously has to do something about the battery

Oct 26, 2012
Hello. I am new here. I own a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 for a while now, and it was runnig great. Now the touchscreen is very unresponsive and if i turn it on, it turns right back on. I also noticed that my memory usage left is almost gone. Would that be the Problem? Please reply. Thank you.

maccyboy67

Jun 19, 2013
Hi I wonder if any one can help me. I have A samsung galaxy tablet. Model GT-P1000. The battery life hasn't been that good since got it in January. I recently decided to upgrade it from froyo 2.2 to gingerbread. Once I upgraded it every thing went fine and the tablet was working well. The battery life seemed to be alot better after upgrading to gingerbread. Now 1 week after upgrading to ginger bread My galaxy tab has started to gain a problem. The battery is running out really quick when the battery gets to 50% there are no warning messages. The tablet just beeps, dies and switches off. I have looked at the battery usage and it doesn't make sense. It says the battery usage is as follows..

Android system 94%
Display 2%
Wifi 2%
Cell standby 2%
Bluetooth 2%

What could the problem be and how can I fix it . Any advice would be much appreciated

thanks in advance

Hi
I had the same problem, but I came across best battery in the UK and bought a replacement battery, check it out Samsung Galaxy Tab GT-P1000 16GB 3.7V 4000mAh Tablet computer batteries

Jul 25, 2013
hi...
I also have the same problem... i have a galaxy tab GT-P1000 and my battery ends in few minutes whereas it takes 10 to 12 hours to charge and show it full on the display. but within half an hour goes to 3% and tells to connect the charger....

anybody could tell me that whats the problem

majo

Aug 27, 2014
Pls admin i got battery problem for my samsung tab 3..it sudeenly drains fast ànd when charge it fully charged so fast...it was just after i upgraded it to new version the last day and it was all dat happen.. i cant used it for so long more than 15 mins for it will shuts down...

What shall i do?