Google's Samsung Nexus 10 Photos & Specs Supposedly Leaked

tobyw01

Sep 28, 2010
Major fail if it only has 16 GB storage and no SD Card slot. Guess they are not learning lesson from Nexus 7. Cloud storage is worthless if you don't access to the internet.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Yes, the storage and google's new aversion to SD cards sucks.

Looks do matter. Now it isn't the only thing that matters but they do matter. It shows pride in build and design, forethought and represents that you have a quality product. There is no reason to say looks don't matter at all just as there is no reason to let them be overriding. There is a reason Microsoft put out the Surface, because without somebody raising the bar OEMs can sometimes get lazy and uninspired. Apple is usually the target setting the bar but in the case of Nexus devices Google is dictating and obviously less concerned with competing with Apple directly. It is a shame if they are completely letting their partners off the design hook (not sure who is calling the shots exactly).

Bottom line is a Ferrari engine in a Yugo is just as much of a shame as a spec'd out tablet in an ugly case. Speaking of cases I don't use them on my devices so the looks and feel do matter. Keeping the Nexus 7 looks would have been much better and that isn't particularly fancy but a heck of a lot nicer than this leaked photo. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder though.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Didn't really mean looks don't matter at all, but I am way more interested in the performance and usefulness of a device than whether or not it is designed by Armani. Sure perception is important as well, and if a tablet feels solid, even if it doesn't translate to any real world increase in durability, it gives a sense of security to the user.
I really don't see a problem with the Nexus 10 design, and one thing I noticed is the front facing speakers make it difficult or impossible to have edge to edge glass, and people percieve this as a design flaw, at least astheticaly. If you ever had a chance to experience the sound from the Note 10.1 you would quickly appreciate the advantage of this design.

strider_mt2k

Nov 22, 2010
Google Drive still isn't a replacement for your own local storage when it comes to media though, and that was my breaking point with the Nexus 7.
The Nexus 7 also has a great display and wonderful specs, but it's a machine for someone's mom or sister. It's not for me.

After that experience I will most decidedly be buying Android products that feature a memory card slot.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
J515OP said:
It looks like the pics in the first post were of an earlier design or prior to the soft touch coating on the back. Thankfully that was included like the Nexus 7. These pictures do it much more justice though the frame and bezel from the front still aren't particularly attractive in my opinion. This is a huge improvement though.

Gallery: Google Nexus 10 hands-on photos | The Verge

Like I may have mentioned, I think this is a necessary design to allow for front facing speakers. Edge to edge glass just isn't possible with this design.

I would imagine at this price point other manufacturers are going to have a hard time marketing their current 10" devices, so it will be interesting to see how they deal with this new challenge.

Sent from my Sony Tablet P

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I actually like the front facing speakers. I agree that is a good idea. I think the bezel inside the edges under the glass is too big though. Apparently there are no straight edges on this thing either with all edges having a curve to them which to me makes it seem more toy like and less serious. I guess being hammered by Apple in court has really gotten their attention (curved edges avoid the whole rectangle with round corners issue). This is being a little gun shy though and taking it too far.

I can't find the image but somewhere out there is a pretty funny picture showing how a tablet would look after the lawyers give their input. This reminds me of that.

Aside from that the plastic on the back is strange though it looks better surrounded by black. You have to pop the whole thing on and off to use the first party screen cover and early reviews are already that it is pretty wonky.