Gps dongle

RALIR

Jul 4, 2012
Hi,

I am a newbie to TF 201. I am slightly confused about GPS on TF 201. Does it have GPS facility or not? Consumer Reports in their tablet ratings indicated that TF 201 has GPS. Asus's own TF201 vs. TF300 comparison showed that TF 201 does not have GPS. But then, they also said people complained about GPS performance in certain regions and so they offer a free GPS Dongle. What gives?

Best Regards,

RaliR

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
It does have GPS, but the metal case of the 201 interfered with its ability to get a strong signal, thus the offer of a dongle.

RALIR

Jul 4, 2012
Tom,

Thank you for your quick response. With your response and some of the general info on GPS on TF 201, I set out on a test drive in my car, loaded with GPS Test APP and GPS Status APP. What I was able to confirm that my unit not only has GPS but also works. How well is difficult to estimate.

A few minutes after I started to drive, slowly the Satellite in view started going up from 0 to all the way to 8 or 9. Then it took a few more minutes, the In-Use number started going up and then the GPS On button went from amber to green. As you would expect, these numbers fluctuated, sometimes dropping to 0 and cutting out the GPS and sometimes going fairly high to 7 or 8. In all this time, Google Map will show the map and my current location, but frequently it will cut out by unsharp images of the map. All this is happening in the car, which means I have no WiFi connection. So I do not know if that plays a role in showing maps in Google Map.

Bottom line is that as assured by you, my TF 201 has GPS.

General questions on GPS for you or anyone who can help me understand:

1. What do in-view and in-use mean? I would have assumed that if the satellite is in-view, the signal is received by the GPS (in-use). But it looks as if that is not the case.
2. Most of the time, the GPS ON radio button stayed either amber or green, but occasionally, the GPS ON radio button will turn white. It looks as if white is completely off, amber on, but not receving signal and green on and working. This is in GPS Test App.

Thank you and every one who is helping with this question.

Best Regards,

RaliR

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Hi RaliR

As someone who has one of the first batch of TF 201s to become available I have some experience with the GPS, mine and several others. It does work. But it also is not as strong, (sensitive) as many expected it to be. In defense of ASUS the 201 wasn't actually advertised as a GPS device but as having GPS as a feature. Most other tablets with GPS, (including the iPad), would have to have been purchased with a cellular model.

I know 2 people who took trips using the GPS in the TF201 and both had a co-pilot to make certain the 201 was near a window. ;)

Now, for your questions

1. What do in-view and in-use mean? I would have assumed that if the satellite is in-view, the signal is received by the GPS (in-use). But it looks as if that is not the case.
2. Most of the time, the GPS ON radio button stayed either amber or green, but occasionally, the GPS ON radio button will turn white. It looks as if white is completely off, amber on, but not receving signal and green on and working. This is in GPS Test App.

In view senses a signal that may not be sufficient to use for a 3 way fix, which is needed for accuracy. So it only knows where the bird is but can't really make use of the signal for a good positional fix.

The radio on and off is just one of the things that people with the 201 deal with if the overall signal isn't what it should be. The newer model TF700T has a plastic strip along the back top edge so it isn't blocking the signal.

Hope that helps.

RALIR

Jul 4, 2012
Dear Leeshor,

Thank you for taking the time to provide this explanation. It is helpful.

Though I was very happy with TF 201, I was getting ready to return it because of lack of GPS. But after trying it out on the road after Tom's explanation, I have decided to keep the unit. Hopefully the GPS dongle will help.

I do not really need the GPS function because I have a Garmin in the car. However occasionally I make trips to India where I will only be a passenger in the car and so I can hopefully benefit with a passenger-operated GPS directions.

Best Regards,

RaliR

JerseyRider

Dec 20, 2011
Hi,

I am a newbie to TF 201. I am slightly confused about GPS on TF 201. Does it have GPS facility or not? Consumer Reports in their tablet ratings indicated that TF 201 has GPS. Asus's own TF201 vs. TF300 comparison showed that TF 201 does not have GPS. But then, they also said people complained about GPS performance in certain regions and so they offer a free GPS Dongle. What gives?

Best Regards,

RaliR

If possible I would suggest that you return the TF201 and purchase the TF700. The TF201 has weak GPS and wifi because of the design of the all metal back cover. The GPS and wifi is much better on the TF700 and they are the same price. And there are other improvements.