GPS for Android Tablet with Offline Maps

edap

Dec 12, 2012
MapFactor is a navigation application with GPS for Android tablet with offline maps allowing users to access maps without connectivity, and plan their routes regardless of whether they are online or off.
With MapFactor: GPS Navigation, this free app is ideal for turn-by-turn GPS navigation available to Android smartphones and tablets using OpenStreetMaps data.
The maps are installed on the SD card, therefore no internet connection is required for travelling, and more map and application updates are free and accessible every month. All the specifics and full details are documented on the Google Play Store along with a few short reviews for those wanting to know how this is perceived.

jztemple

Jul 17, 2013
I use Navfree USA, but Will give this app a try this weekend.

I tried Navigator via the link above but it seems to be clunky on my Nexus 10; maybe it's more optimal on smaller screens. Anyway since someone here is using Navfree USA, that's enough of a recommendation to give that a try.

edap

Dec 12, 2012
I have been looking at some user comments who feel this is a great app, although some have experienced a few issues on older devices.
The online maps have been welcomed by many, while some suggest the navigation instructions could be more precise. Overall, I get the impression this free app is easy to use with an accurate display, but I would love to know your views if you have already used this.

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
I've used MapFactor Navigator on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1. We used it extensively on a one-week vacation in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. It actually worked better with OSM maps than the paid TomTom maps, which I would most definitely not buy again. With OSM maps it furnished sane routes. With TomTom maps it did all kinds of odd things--incl. some truly sub-optimal routes.

It did not seem inclined to give up on a computed route and recalculate when you went a way it didn't plan, with either map set.

Overall it worked pretty well... I guess. It's out of beta, now, so perhaps some of the problems I saw have been fixed.

Support on their web forums is fairly responsive.

ETA: The location lookup via Navigator's UI quite honestly sucks. Badly. Very badly. (The apparently broken Google lookup was apparently a tablet problem. After other odd behavior, I rebooted and it worked again.)

I've tried several off-line navigation apps and I have to wonder if any of their designers have actually ever used a real navigation system. It's like they're all operating in a vacuum.

Jim

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I've used MapFactor Navigator on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1. We used it extensively on a one-week vacation in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. It actually worked better with OSM maps than the paid TomTom maps, which I would most definitely not buy again. With OSM maps it furnished sane routes. With TomTom maps it did all kinds of odd things--incl. some truly sub-optimal routes.

It did not seem inclined to give up on a computed route and recalculate when you went a way it didn't plan, with either map set.

Overall it worked pretty well... I guess. It's out of beta, now, so perhaps some of the problems I saw have been fixed.

Support on their web forums is fairly responsive.

ETA: Guess that's a good thing, because it appears the last update broke map lookups via Google. And the location lookup via Navigator's UI quite honestly sucks. Badly. Very badly.

I've tried several off-line navigation apps and I have to wonder if any of their designers have actually ever used a real navigation system. It's like they're all operating in a vacuum.

Jim

Navfree USA is a real navigation system, I use it everyday, I also use A garmin, Navfree USA is as good as any GPS system.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I am downloading app now, will be heading home tomorrow evening and will be able to test app, then Friday and Saturday I will be navigating to two different football games, So the app will get fully tested. I am a construction worker so I depend on navigation system to get me to the next job, the clients don't want any excuses why I am late or I can't find the job.
I am not a tourist but a professional GPS user, my family depends on me and I depend on GPS. I am always looking for better apps, but the GPS app I use has never failed me or it would be removed.

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A ICS Android Tablet

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I tried it. It crashed my Streak's wifi every time I tried downloading more than one map at a time. I'll stick with Navfree as my backup GPS.

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
I tried it. It crashed my Streak's wifi every time I tried downloading more than one map at a time. I'll stick with Navfree as my backup GPS.
Huh. I installed it on my Sensation the other day. Downloaded six surrounding states and Canada. Was on my home WiFi system. No problem. (Took a good long while, tho.)

Jim

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
My Streak is one of those older units that this app apparently has problems with. In my case, it froze in the middle of the map download, and force closing the app took down the WiFi service. The only way to fix the WiFi crash was to restart the device.

Like I said, I will stick with NavFree. It works, unlike this POS.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Just got home, this app simply isn't for me, I gave it a 300 mile test, the app isn't smooth enough for me. Navfree USA blows this app away. MapFactor is free an some users will like it, just not for me.

I recommend Navfree USA it's also free and blows this app away.
Sent from my Coby MID7065 Android Tablet

Last edited:

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
Well, MapFactor Navigator pulled a brain-dead stunt on me. I replaced Samsung's b0rk3d ROM with CM. I knew I'd lose the TomTom maps until MapFactor reauthenticated the licensed maps, but it disabled itself entirely--even for the free OSM maps :mad:

So I installed Navfree. Not bad. I'll have to evaluate it further.

Jim

edap

Dec 12, 2012
I would like to say this: The Google Play Store doesn't have the Big Brother-like vetting system that the Apple App Store enjoys. Because of this, questionable apps can make their way into the Play Store -- and then onto our device. Make sure you read reviews of apps before you install them. Many times, when an app is questionable, it will be mentioned by at least one reviewer.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
It's not that the app is questionable, but that the app is extremely buggy: in my case, to the point of being unusable. The reality is that this app is a beta being promoted as a finished product, which may lead people to wonder what other underhanded tactics the development team will implement.