GPS working with kyros 8024

prog19

Dec 26, 2011
First of all, none of this would be made without the CFW of Steev and Nefrim. Thanks to you guys, and to all of the involved. You guys put the things together and turn the kyros xx24 series in to real something

Second, but still a important matter, sorry about my portuenglish :p

I've managed to make several gps and location apps work in kyros 8024, by way of bluetooth.

And i have to tell you guys, this topic is not about the ease of use, and not about make kyros your dayly gps. It's about push the tablet to it's limits and see what can be made, and what cannot.
To do that i needed only the tablet, a bluetooth dongle and a cell phone with gps and android. I'm pretty sure that it will work with a bluetooth gps receiver (like this: 65-Channel Car Navigation and Tracking Bluetooth GPS Receiver + Data Logger - Free Shipping - DealExtreme)

I hope this helps any of you guys. Here how i've made it:

GPS working with Kyros 8024 Tutorial

To do that, i've used : Kyros 8024, with steev alldro2 v1.3, and an Eyo cell phone with stock android froyo and an ordinary bluetooth dongle

with these apps in the cellphone: gps 2 bluetooth (widget) and wise pilot
and these apps in the tablet: Igo gps and gps bluetooth

With all the apps installed on respective gadgets, you'll have to pair the tablet and the cell phone.
Then open wisepilot on the cell phone, and wait untill the gps find the signal. Press home to go back and turn on the gps 2 bluetooth widget. It will become green.

In the tablet, open gps bluetooth, mark the "mock provider" box, select the cell phone and press conect. If you see a message saying "service discovery failed", return to the gps 2 bluetooth widget, turn it off and on again, then try the conection in gps bluetooth app again. Usually the conection is very easy.

When it's conected, it will show you many information, like lat/long, speed, orientation and other things.

Then it's time to test a gps app. I've done that with Igo, but you can save a google map in the cache and see it show your exact location. The gps bluetooth also have an map tab, that shows your precise location (but you have to save the map before by way of wifi)

I've managed to get Igo 8, and Ndrive to get turn by turn navigation. Igo 8 gives the location immediately, and it's much more fluid than Ndrive 10 and 11 Ndrive seems to need much more time to use the mock providerto find our location.

And that's how i've made it, folks

I hope this is the right section for the topic.

And i have to say it once again. Without the bluetooth patches provided by the CFW of steev, and nefrim (the CFW i use on daily basis) none of this would be possible.

And without the apps, this wouldn't be possible too, so, many people had this idea before me, because there were apps for everything i've needed.

So this is my contribution to the kyros xx24 series.

Coddias1

Sep 24, 2011
I got my 8024 working with a bluetooth GPS receiver. It works great. I did that as a project of transform the 8024 in a full platform working with Gps and 3g.

I've installed Igo but the screen doesn't fit correctly. It seems bigger than screen even adjusting the correct .gro file. So the adjust buttons on menu stay half hidden on the screen.

Could you inform what version of Igo are you using and where I can get it?

I got some 3G dongles that don't appear in the list working with my tablet. I still working in the settings and in the future I will post the solution here. If you have interest in test something, PM me.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

prog19

Dec 26, 2011
I'm using the IGO MyWay 8.4.2.139242 in 800x460 resolution.

This is the resolution of 7" tablets, but works great, and the best we can get with our 4:3 tablet, i think.

I'll send you a pm with this version, man

Coddias1

Sep 24, 2011
Man,
I've downloaded that version you passed but the screen is very small. It seems like a cellphone screen.
Are you sure is the same version you're using?
Or are there some edition needed due to it fit on the screen?

Thanks for the help, by the way!