Greetings

MunicipalUser

Mar 6, 2012
Hello all,

New to the forum. I am hoping to get some information and feedback regarding the use of tablets for inspections. Let me explain. I work in Municipal Gov't with Inspectional Services (Building, Zoning, Housing, Restaurant, etc. permitting, licensing and inspecting). We have recently begun using a new on-line permitting system. We are about to engage our contractor to use thier mobile inspection application and I am begin to do some independent research of the various devices that would run the app in a citrix environment over 3G and/ or WiFi. The contractor built the application using a Samsung Galaxy Tab. Any advice and/ or comments would be welcom.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hello MunicipalUser, welcome to the forum. Nice of you to become a member of Android Tablets. My first thought regarding your situation would be to use Samsung Galaxy Tabs, since that's the tablet the app was designed for and the one the developer is most familiar with. If you want to "shop" around for other tablets, the Android Tablet Discussions section of the forum would be the best place to get some recommendations. Just click that link and you'll go straight there. Once you've narrowed it down to specific tablets, you can do further research on them by going to the forums specific to those tablets. Just go to the main forum page http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/index.php and scroll down to the forums for the tablets you're interested in researching further. At that point, you'll be discussing the tablets with the experts on them and they should be able to answer whatever questions you have. I hope that helps a little. Good luck!

Tanzanite

Jan 14, 2012
Hi Inspector,

Welcome to the forum.

Let me compliment you and your department for starting to use tablets in the public sector. I would love to see the public sector here in East Africa have that kind of innovation.

Maybe we can arrange a some knowledge sharing. Could be combined with a Safari :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

geckoT2C

Jan 24, 2012
Somebody said Safari?!

On a more serious note, MunicipalSafari, I think its a fabulous idea! If your contractor built an app specifically for Samsung Galaxy Tab then maybe it makes sense to buy those in bulk? You'd be able to get good servicing for those devices when you buy a lot. With smaller & cheaper manufacturers it might be a bit of hit and miss.