Gridlines on screen visible when turned on

stig6

Oct 23, 2011
Hi guys, sorry my first post is what is likely to be a stupid question, but I have a question about the screen on my Iconia A500.

The touch sensor gridlines that are visible when the screen is off (I've heard this is normal, please correct me if I'm wrong!) are also visible when the screen is black. If I have an app open that has a black background, I can see these lines, and it's quite distracting and unattractive. They aren't visible at any other time; only when the screen is black (like the split second when an app is opening). I was told these lines should disappear when the device is on... so I was just wondering if it's normal?

I may be being overly paranoid, this is my first tablet and everything! Thanks for any help :)

Edit: Please guys, just a yes or no answer would be great. Are the lines/squares visible on a black background on your A500 when it's turned on?

Last edited:

jgumphress

Sep 6, 2011
Hey, welcome to the forum. First, no question is stupid. How else would we learn? Now, the grid lines on the Acer are just the type of display that Acer chose to use. It is not a defect. My A500 does the same thing and it is distasteful to say the least. You would think that an upper end tablet would use a higher quality screen. But it isn't bad enough for me to go looking for another brand. I like the Acer and will keep it until something else big comes along. I like it far better than the iPad.

stig6

Oct 23, 2011
Thanks for the reply jgumphress :) So just to confirm, this happens to yours when it's turned on right? On pretty much any black screen? I understand it happening when it's off, that's fine, but it happens when it's on?? Silly Acer!

Yeah, it's a little ugly, but like you said, definitely not bad enough to make me look for another tablet! I only got mine yesterday but had to return two due to different problems (unlucky! :(), but this one seems fine, just wanted to make sure that the gridlines were normal before I got too attached :)

jgumphress

Sep 6, 2011
I did not notice the grid right off. I was so happy getting rid of that iPad and getting my new Android that I didn't notice at first. But now I wouldn't trade it for anything.