HAIPAD MID701 w/ HDMI out and USB - stuck on white screen!

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Thanks for the writeup. I'm sure it will help many others.

Glad you fixed the problem too :)

TRaCoN

Nov 30, 2010
Hey folks. Well....about 11pm last night I weighed my options. Sending it back will cost me more in shipping plus I'll have to wait longer to get a tablet. So....I rolled up my sleeves and took it apart.

I fixed it.

The screen ribbon was, in fact, the problem. These are step by step instructions of what I did. You'll need: Credit card or gift card, tweezers, super glue, screw driver, and a wire tie (like the one that wraps up the cable on the charger that came with the tablet).

1. Use a credit card or a gift card to separate the touch top from the body of the tablet. I'd recommend not using a credit/gift card you don't want to mess up. The one that I used got really messed up because of the force it took to pry the lid up. There are some other tools you can use to do this, but a gift card worked fine for me.

2. Be careful when you get the lid off. There is a small touch screen ribbon that is attached to the motherboard. This is not where the problem lies. You'll need to use some tweezers to remove this from the motherboard. There should be a grey sliding piece of plastic holding the ribbon in place. Be careful and remove the ribbon then separate the touch top from the tablet.

3. Unscrew the actual screen from the tablet. There is probably a total of 4 screws with brackets holding the screen in. Don't lose then because they are very small screws.

4. The ribbon that you need to worry about is on the back of this screen and is a little less than an inch wide. It is held in place by a similar piece of plastic as the touch top was. You'll likely need to remove a few pieces of tape to expose it. On my tablet, this piece of plastic was broken and was barely holding the ribbon in place. I took a chance and started the unit up and wiggled the ribbon. Tada! The screen turned from white to black with the android in the corner. I gasped and smiled.

5. Using tweezers, I pulled the piece of plastic out to unlock the ribbon entirely from the motherboard. It was still attached on one side of it, but loose and broken on the other side.

6. I started the unit up a few times with the ribbon inserted just so I could gauge what the correct way looked like and to make sure that this was indeed the problem. When the screen images look correct and you feel like everything looks right, hold the bracket in place against the ribbon and go to the next step.

7. To fix the broken bracket, I used a very unorthodox technique. I used super glue and a wire tie with plastic around it. The wire tie was actually off of the charger cable that came with the tablet. You can probably do something a little better than this if you think about it. But it worked for me and is still working in my tablet. If it breaks or comes loose, then I'll worry about it.

8. Cut a piece of the wire tie that is long enough to wedge between the battery and this broken bracket. I think the one I cut was about 1/4 of an inch long. I trimmed it with some nail clippers until it was the right length. Dab some glue on the broken plastic side of the bracket. Bend the wire tie towards the bracket so that it stays in place. Hopefully the glue will hold it permanently. Macgyver would be proud.

9. Put everything back together like it was. Make double sure that the touch top is back in place properly. Mine wasn't and the touch was off extremely bad.

10. Boot it up and see if everything works.

Let me know if you have any problems.
Thank you, it worked for me too. But thanks to my unluck, my screen is cracked when I am opening the touch top and touch function doesn't work:( I am not sure if it doesn't work because it is cracked. Do you have any idea?

EDIT: I bought this one, I hope it works:
http://www.pandawill.com/replacement-touch-screen-panel-for-g10-mid-4gb_p39838.html

Last edited:

valkyr

Jan 18, 2011
Good to hear you got it working. I love my tablet but recently I had an issue where its not charging via the wall charger. It seems to be a connection issue. Has anyone had this problem as I would hate to send it back since thats the only issue I have with it. Other than video recorded is backwards hehe.

So does anyone have an issue with the tablet not working? I let it drain fully at first to make sure it got a good charge and it worked fine.

Also can you charge it via USB on wall connector?

valkyr

Jan 18, 2011
I doubt its the firmware since it has charged when I got it. I got 2 full charges out of it. What is the Screen Ribbon cable and is there a way to fix it?

chipsolo

May 25, 2011
I have a white screen too. Read the instructions but was wondering if you had the pics and vids haipad sent you showing you how to fix the white screen.

Last edited:

vrajavala

Jul 4, 2011
I think I broke the cable connections on the motherboard. Do you think I ceanothus. Get replacement?

pinay2011

Apr 10, 2011
Hi all. Just wanted to share on this forum. I have the apad II 701-R running android 2.3. I should say this is my 5th or 6th unit, due to several replacements (from Apad II 2.1 to 2.3), since March this year. The issues I have with them are sudden loss of sound from the speaker (earphones working fine), and tablet not charging properly (faulty charger point). Now, the sound just went off again. It's not anymore cost-effective to go back to the store and get it replaced again. The store where I got it from here in NZ don't actually repair them. They just give you another unit. Was thinking of getting a refund this time, and get the branded ones...

In addition, while one of my past apads had been faulty (no sound), my son broke the glass on the touchscreen. When I bought it back to the store, as the breaking of the screen was a different issue, I had paid $80+gst for the screen, plus some $35+gst for labour. It was actually a pain. And like I said, they don't repair. I actually ended up with a new unit again.

CeeNeroz

Feb 26, 2012
Hey folks. Well....about 11pm last night I weighed my options. Sending it back will cost me more in shipping plus I'll have to wait longer to get a tablet. So....I rolled up my sleeves and took it apart.

I fixed it.

The screen ribbon was, in fact, the problem. These are step by step instructions of what I did. You'll need: Credit card or gift card, tweezers, super glue, screw driver, and a wire tie (like the one that wraps up the cable on the charger that came with the tablet).

1. Use a credit card or a gift card to separate the touch top from the body of the tablet. I'd recommend not using a credit/gift card you don't want to mess up. The one that I used got really messed up because of the force it took to pry the lid up. There are some other tools you can use to do this, but a gift card worked fine for me.

2. Be careful when you get the lid off. There is a small touch screen ribbon that is attached to the motherboard. This is not where the problem lies. You'll need to use some tweezers to remove this from the motherboard. There should be a grey sliding piece of plastic holding the ribbon in place. Be careful and remove the ribbon then separate the touch top from the tablet.

3. Unscrew the actual screen from the tablet. There is probably a total of 4 screws with brackets holding the screen in. Don't lose then because they are very small screws.

4. The ribbon that you need to worry about is on the back of this screen and is a little less than an inch wide. It is held in place by a similar piece of plastic as the touch top was. You'll likely need to remove a few pieces of tape to expose it. On my tablet, this piece of plastic was broken and was barely holding the ribbon in place. I took a chance and started the unit up and wiggled the ribbon. Tada! The screen turned from white to black with the android in the corner. I gasped and smiled.

5. Using tweezers, I pulled the piece of plastic out to unlock the ribbon entirely from the motherboard. It was still attached on one side of it, but loose and broken on the other side.

6. I started the unit up a few times with the ribbon inserted just so I could gauge what the correct way looked like and to make sure that this was indeed the problem. When the screen images look correct and you feel like everything looks right, hold the bracket in place against the ribbon and go to the next step.

7. To fix the broken bracket, I used a very unorthodox technique. I used super glue and a wire tie with plastic around it. The wire tie was actually off of the charger cable that came with the tablet. You can probably do something a little better than this if you think about it. But it worked for me and is still working in my tablet. If it breaks or comes loose, then I'll worry about it.

8. Cut a piece of the wire tie that is long enough to wedge between the battery and this broken bracket. I think the one I cut was about 1/4 of an inch long. I trimmed it with some nail clippers until it was the right length. Dab some glue on the broken plastic side of the bracket. Bend the wire tie towards the bracket so that it stays in place. Hopefully the glue will hold it permanently. Macgyver would be proud.

9. Put everything back together like it was. Make double sure that the touch top is back in place properly. Mine wasn't and the touch was off extremely bad.

10. Boot it up and see if everything works.

Let me know if you have any problems.

Thanks for this! I really appreciate it, but can you please maybe post pictures or a video? I would like to know which side of the tablet you pry open and other stuff. Please and thanks! Sorry that this post is really late and you may not be paying attention to your thread any more.