Happy Belated Birthday Android! Congratz on Turning Four Yesterday!

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
happy-fourth-b-day-android.png

I remember when I was four years old. The world was a scary place, but it was also exciting and I wanted to explore it. Of course, Androids age differently than humans so the fact that "Andy" just turned four yesterday probably means something different to him than it does to us humans. From one perspective, an Android could live easily for 1000 years or more; however, on the flipside of that, Android devices outlive their usefulness a lot sooner as well. Nowadays it seems like the useful lifespan of an Android is about 4-5 years at most (and that is being generous). So, because of that, Androids are both older and younger than us regular people.

At any rate, it was on September 23rd of 2008 that the Android team unveiled its 1.0 SDK, release 1. Since then we have gone through many evolutions and the current version of Android has become a slick and very useful product to power our mobile devices. Regardless of how old in human years our amazing "Andy" really is, we are so glad that he is here for us now. Cheers to Android!

Thanks for the tip/reminder, armeddroid! Everyone give armeddroid a thank you for reminding us!

Tanzanite

Jan 14, 2012
Congrats from Africa, Android has done more to increase internet access than any other OS here.

It will be exiting to see what the next 4 years will bring. With the speed of innovation we I would be surprised if tablets have not taken over PC's 4 years from now as the main computer interface. Or maybe the two platforms will just melt together in some kind of LapTablet. :)

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
That's a nice post, Tanzanite - and so true. Smart phones priced reasonably are bringing the 'Net to many African citizens, many times it's their first computing device.

It's thanks to Android, mostly, as we don't see low priced iOS devices, do we? :p

Happy Birthday, Android. We love you.

Nice article dgstorm, thanks for all the news and updates you post for us here.

JohnFarrell

Sep 11, 2012
Many Many congratulations to Dear Android!

I hope, Android Tablets will replace laptop one day. It is not only due to its increasing popularity but we should focus on the basic things like its quality apps, free OS, security and low price phone available in the market.