Hard reset, update error...

thatguy

Sep 29, 2010
My tablet kept giving me errors whenever i tried to update it.
I contacted Acer and was told to do a hard reset.

After doing a hard reset i am looking at the following..

Android Version : 3.1
Kernel Version 2.6.36.3
Build Number : Acer_A500_4.010.13_COM_GEN2

As soon as i powered the tablet and went through the connection settings i get a notification of a update. I download all 357 MB of it and tried to install only to receive the same error i had before "invalid update". :mad:

Now i have tried turning the tablet off, letting it sit, and then hold the volume button up while it is booting. This gives a little message about learning the cache and using the kernal image. The end result is i have a little android on the screen with a yellow exclamation point on it not being real informative of the error.

Anyone out there have any suggestions on what to do?

Thank you in advance.

Rocket

Oct 15, 2011
Happened to mine with the last minor update. I had to send it to Acer because soft reset didn't do anything and the unit wouldn't boot up all the way. Good news is that I sent it on Monday and got it back that Friday. They even updated the unit to 3.2 for me. They said it was a bad file in the OTA update. Good luck.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
My daughters tab did the same thing. We did a CACHE CLEAR and that sorted the problem. But this issue is discussed in another thread and the answers ate there.

thatguy

Sep 29, 2010
My daughters tab did the same thing. We did a CACHE CLEAR and that sorted the problem. But this issue is discussed in another thread and the answers ate there.

This is the same thing right?

Now i have tried turning the tablet off, letting it sit, and then hold the volume button up while it is booting. This gives a little message about
learning
the cache and using the kernal image. The end result is i have a little android on the screen with a yellow exclamation point on it not being real informative of the error.

thatguy

Sep 29, 2010
Happened to mine with the last minor update. I had to send it to Acer because soft reset didn't do anything and the unit wouldn't boot up all the way. Good news is that I sent it on Monday and got it back that Friday. They even updated the unit to 3.2 for me. They said it was a bad file in the OTA update. Good luck.

The online support just provided information i had already found and only annoyed me. Were you able to get results from online chat support or did you use phone or email support?

Rocket

Oct 15, 2011
I called phone support and was transferred to "Tier 2" tech support--that is only open M-F, US business hours. They generated a work order and emailed a fedex shipping label so I could return the unit for repair. All of this happened within the week, which really surprised me.

One thing to note--my unit would not boot, so a factory reset was impossible. It showed that it was trying to turn "off" when I powered on and the robot with the ! Held the screen.

elsuirad

Jul 28, 2011
Look for a thread here titled [TUT] Revert OTA 3.2 back to 3.0.1.

It tells you how to get back or revert to v3.0.1 so you can install latest ROMs or use any of the updated ones from OTA.

frnkws

Jul 30, 2011
here is a link to the us update along with instructions.
I updated using this link and downloaded it to my computer, extracted the update.zip, put the update.zip on a micro sd and installed.
After inserting the sd in the A500
Hold the volume down button and continue to hold while powering up.
Once you see a few lines in the upper left of the screen you can let go the volume and let it do it's thing.
Takes about 5 minutes or less to install.
http://vache-android.com/files/Acer_...1_COM_GEN2.zip

thatguy

Sep 29, 2010
Look for a thread here titled [TUT] Revert OTA 3.2 back to 3.0.1.

It tells you how to get back or revert to v3.0.1 so you can install latest ROMs or use any of the updated ones from OTA.

Thank you .. I will check it out next if the update file solution doesnt work.

thatguy

Sep 29, 2010
I updated using this link and downloaded it to my computer, extracted the update.zip, put the update.zip on a micro sd and installed.
Once you see a few lines in the upper left of the screen you can let go the volume and let it do it's thing.

Cool!!! Downloading now and will post what happens after i try it.

Thank you ..

Rocket

Oct 15, 2011
Are the OTA updates somehow more risky than downloading to micro SD card? I am asking because I have only done two OTA updates and BOTH caused problems. I have since turned auto update off.

frnkws

Jul 30, 2011
Are the OTA updates somehow more risky than downloading to micro SD card? I am asking because I have only done two OTA updates and BOTH caused problems. I have since turned auto update off.

Unless you know the link you are downloading from is the real update OTA updates are safer.
The link I posted can be found on several threads here with comments from several who downloaded from there so we know it is safe.
The computer downloads better, especially with such a large file.

thatguy

Sep 29, 2010

Tried it... didnt work.. thanks for the info anyway.

Going to try and do a rollback and see what happens.

Rocket

Oct 15, 2011
I was referring only to the updates on the Acer website. Both OTA updates caused problems so I wonder if there is something about my unit or its wireless connection that is causing a problem. Will try micro SD download next time Acer releases an update. Thanks.

ogozi

Sep 30, 2011
There is this download that could help you with it. I'll get back to you when i find it, just stick to this forum.