Has anyone else connected a Hyperdrive HD80 to an Android tablet?

sandshoe

Sep 8, 2011
If you are a keen digital photographer you may have a Hyperdrive HD80. This is a self powered combined flash card reader and HDD. You plug in your flash card and it automatically copies the files to the HDD. Later, you connect the Hyperdrive to a computer (by USB) to view and save the image files.

However, when I connect my Hyperdrive HD80 to my Acer Iconia Tab A500, something odd happens. When the HD80 is first connected, it is possible to read all the image files, and see the images on the A500 screen. However, once the HD80 has been unplugged, all of the images become corrupted, and cannot be read again, either by the A500, or by my Windows XP computer.
I might add that
  • the A500 can read files from an ordinary portable USB HDD, a USB flash drive, or a flash card via a reader, multiple times without problems.
  • unless it's been connected to the A500, the HD80 can be read just like any external drive by my Windows XP PC, as it always has, flawlessly.
  • The problem affects both jpeg and Raw files.
If anyone has any ideas why this happens (and how to stop it happening!), I'd be very glad to hear them!

sandshoe

Sep 8, 2011
Well I jumped the gun by a couple of days! The update to 3.2 has fixed the problem. The Hyperdrive now connects like any other USB HDD, with no file corruptions. I note that Android now no longer installs a .android_secure folder on USB memory, so that must have something to do with it.