Tips for Using the USB as PC Mass Storage

timtak

Dec 17, 2012
I bought a 64GB Sandisk SDXC from ebay really cheap, and it was recognised fine by Windows 7 and My Android 4.0 tablet. I put my files on my tablet so I don't need to carry a hard disk. All was well for about a week.

Then yesterday I found that it got stuck on the Connecting USB Mass Storage device screen (the screen that appears when I insert the USB lead, where the green android's hand is a USB connector) and did not proceed to the "USB Storage in use" screen where the android turns orange.

Meanwhile in my notifications it had things like "card removed" (when I had not) and "checking card," and one time "card has errors."

I rebooted a couple of times. The "card has errors" went away but I could not connect.

I checked the card by putting it into an adaptor and using disk check on windows. Windows 7 saw it fine and the check said there were no errors.

Returning the card to my tablet/phone again left me stuck at the Connecting USB Mass Storage screen. I pressed the button to "Turn on USB storage" and all I got was that little round thing (the equivalent of an egg-timer on a Mac) showing me that it is busy.

Then I decided to go back to using my flash drive, re-synced my flash drive with my tablet's micro SD card.

I put the card back in my tablet, and now I can connect to it again!

What may have caused the problem is attempting to connect to a Windows XP machine. Win XP is not compatible with SDHX. If I avoid windows XP can I expect years of happy Mass Storage? I would like to be able to use my phone as my flash drive. Why is it so unreliable? What am I doing wrong? Are other people happily connecting to the USB cards and using their phones as a flash drive day-to-day?

Tim

Now using NEC Medias Tab N-O8D

cpfan

Jul 8, 2013
I probably can't help you regardless, but I stopped reading at "I bought a 64GB Sandisk SDXC from ebay really cheap". I recommend that you get some software like H2TESTW (it's free) and make sure that the card is not fake. Many problems have been reported with cheap cards from eBay that turned out to be a fake/defective card.

Steve

timtak

Dec 17, 2012
I probably can't help you regardless, but I stopped reading at "I bought a 64GB Sandisk SDXC from ebay really cheap". I recommend that you get some software like H2TESTW (it's free) and make sure that the card is not fake. Many problems have been reported with cheap cards from eBay that turned out to be a fake/defective card.

Steve
I checked 1GB (of 60) and there were no problems. In my limited experience of things fake, one can usually tell from the packing and appearance, which was perfect in this case. The cards are not all that much more expensive from amazon in Japan.

Test finished without errors.
You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
Writing speed: 2.60 MByte/s
Reading speed: 12.4 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

I have not had a problem since. I hoping that it was attempting to connect to XP. I have not had a problem since.

Last edited:

kenynja

Jul 17, 2013
Be careful with "cheap" USB storage devices. Some of them have been known to be infected with root kits and spyware.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Be careful with "cheap" USB storage devices. Some of them have been known to be infected with root kits and spyware.

???????????????
You been misinformed. You can also format the sdcard before you use it.

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A ICS Android Tablet