HC (3.0.1), HTM, Javascript, PDF app question (long)

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
I'm not sure I'm posting this question in the right place...but I'm searching for someone who knows more than I do about using HC/Android, Javascript, htm, etc.

I have a digital archive that is made up of a bunch of HTM files and PDF files. Javascript is used as well. This archive was designed to run on a PC, Mac, and Linux. It comes on CD or DVD, but I have it installed on my hard drives, laptop, and microSD thumb drives. It takes up slightly more than 16GB on disc. There are about 50000+ tiny htm files and as many PDF files. The objective is to pull up a PDF (paper) and the HTM stuff is just metadata for each PDF.

I have this installed on my Acer Iconia Tab running HC 3.0.1. I have the entire archive copied to a folder on the external microSD card which is installed in the microSD slot. I can navigate to the folder using a file manger. All of it is there so I'm sure there are no errors with moving it over (which was done by putting the microSD card in my PC and just copying the folder from the PC hard drive to the microSD card).

Now, one starts this archive in a browser by opening a file whose name is 'start.htm'. To start is on the Iconia I just typed the following into the address bar of the HC stock browser:

file:///mnt/external_sd/APSDA/start.htm

where APSDA is the name of the folder on the microSD card. It's the same name I used on my PC to store the archive. On my PC this APSDA is in the main directory of my D: drive but it is in the root folder on the microSD card as show above.

So, typing that brings up the archive just fine. What you see on screen is a bunch of links on a colorful screen that lets you easily navigate all of the files in this archive. All of the links that bring up htm files work fine. These just have various info about the papers in this archive. But the golden information is in the PDF files. And there is a htm page for each PDF that has a link to the PDF.

The problem is, on the Iconia, when I click on the link for the PDF nothing happens. I have two PDF viewers installed on the Iconia: ezPDF Reader and PDF to Go (comes installed I think). I can easily navigate to the folder that contains the PDF files in Astro File Manager and open any of the PDFs by a click, so I know the readers are installed and working. However, inside the browser clicking on the PDF link doesn't work. Note: clicking on this same link in a PC browser does work and this is the way it was designed to function.

So, I went back to the PC and found a link to a PDF. I right clicked and copied the link to my clipboard. This is what the link to the PDF contains:

javascript: parent.menu.jpdf(2,"ieee","aps","ap","2009057",57,"01jan",1,"0009quij")

So, I guess javascript is somehow involved (I had to add that space behind the ":" to get the emoticon to not show up when viewed here). I think the reason for using Javascript, in part at least, is to be able to swap CDs or DVDs to find the right file which may be spread across several CDs or one of two DVDs. Note that the actual link to the file in the line above would be

APSDA/jpdfs/ieee/aps/ap/200957/01jan/00009quij.pdf

but the path to this folder is a little different on the PC and the Iconia.

I did go into advanced settings in the browser on the Iconia to ensure that Javascript is enabled and it was and is.

So, is this a Javascript problem?

Or is Javascript on the Iconia unable to invoke a PDF viewer to open the PDF file?

Any other ideas on what I can do to make this work?

Thanks.

Last edited: