Help! About memory space and app´s

pedrojb

Sep 18, 2011

Hello everyone

First at all want thanks the valious information in this forum. For a newbie like me is superb.

Now I´m needing here some tips please.

I have a IDEOS S7 tablet rooted (with SuperOneClick), working in full with the SuperUser, I have root access through with Root Explorer.

I use Link2SD to change the apps from the internal memory to the internal SD card.

I have no partitions on internal SD (do not know how to do).

The question: When i install an application this one goes to the /data/app folder, but also some additional files of this application goes to the /data/data folder.

With Link2sd when I move an app to the SD internal card, only the file in data/app moves and the files/folders in the data/data remain´s there!

For example when I install an application with 11MB (adobe flash for example) and move it with the link2sd to the internal SD card never copies all the 11MB (only about 3MB are copied )..... I conclude that any app that I install, and moved to SDcard, I can never keep in the same internal memory free "measurement" of bytes!

Example, I have 136MB free before installing Adobe. After installation I get 125MB. I move the app to the internal SD and are moved only 3MB! The remaining (8MB) stay in the internal memory. So, i never stay again with the 136MB that I had before, but +- 128MB.

What is wrong? Can I move all files of an application or not? What am I doing wrong or is this just like that!!? Any suggestion please?

By the way how can I create a partition on the InternalSD card and what is the advantage of doing this?

Thank you for your attention
regards
pedro

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
For link2sd to work there are three basic steps to follow-
1 - root your S7
2 - make a second partition on your internal sd (use mini tool partition wizard, an free app for your pc, make the partition no more than 2 gigs, format ext2, and make sure both partitions are primary) reboot.
3 - Install link2sd and reboot again, you should be good to go (I read here recemtly you may need to install an earlier version of link2sd -1.7, then upgrade to the latest version)

Now you should be able to move the app, libraries and dalvik cache to your sd, giving you the ability to install virtually all tbe apps you will ever (?) want.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Android Tablet Forum

pedrojb

Sep 18, 2011
Thanks Tom and Kurtlen for your help, much more clear now for me the procedures.

Regards
pedro

pedrojb

Sep 18, 2011
Hello again,

I´ve done what you suggested but I´m facing some problems.

I´ve formatted with MiniToolPartition as suggested and formatted SD Card with two primary/ext2 partitions (one with 5GB and the other with 2GB). Are both visible in this program and with the correct requisites.

When I reboot and install the SD Card the tablet can´t read it. It says that there isnt SD Card present.

If I´ll go to Links2sd it says me the same - sd card not present.

Since the tablet dont recognize the SD card i use format again (in the tablet) and format one partition (the 5GB) in FAT32 and since than is possible to read this partition but Links2sd tell´s me that the SD it has no partitions.

What am I doing wrong or dont understading?

(I know that this last formattion was unneeded, but is the only way that I have to read that partition of the card - or the card in this case)

Have some more tips please?
Thanks in advance, regards
pedro

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
A couple things, your first partition should be fat32, the ext2 should be the second partition, and you apparently need to use an earlier version of link2sd to start, then you can install the latest version.

Sent from my VM670 using Android Tablet Forum

pedrojb

Sep 18, 2011
Thanks Tom, in fact i was doing wrong making both partition´s ext2!

My Link2sd version is 1.9.2 , I think there isn´t any other updated.

I´m going to try this new suggestion, thanks again
regards
pedro

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Find an older version of link2sd, say 1.7, and install it first, then once it is working you can install the latest. I've been told this is necessary, hope it works for you.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

manxman

Aug 2, 2011
If you start from scratch, this may help. This is what worked for me (S7-104, running stock 2.2.2).

I read quite a bit, and with some help from some members (hopefully I gave them all credit :), I got Link2SD working.

Follow these instructions for getting link2SD to work (with 3 alterations indicated with '***'). I can send you the previous Link2SD versions .apk in an email (PM me) if you can't find them online.

"http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/huawei-ideos-s7-technical/7294-alternative-app2sd-link2sd-9.html

Post #81 by Tom...

Since there still seems to be some interest in link2sd even with 2.2 and I can't remember where I posted this before here is the ultra simple way to configure for link2sd for Froyo

This requires no scripts, terminal or ADB!

1) Root your tablet with SuperOneClick
2) Download and install MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition, which is free, and runs on your PC. Just follow this link:
Partition Wizard Home Edition - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com
3) Connect your S7 to your computer with the USB cable and mount your interal SD card. At this point I would just copy the entire contents of the internal SD card to your computer for safety's sake.
4) Create your partition on the internal SD with MiniTool Partition Wizard. If, like me, it wasn't obvious how to do this just look at the FAQ in the Partition Wizard Software, it will show you a video tutorial on how to 'Create' your new partition. Make it about 1 Gig, and make it Primary not logical. I did not name the partition. Then make the file system of your new 1 Gig partition ext2. ***Do not go larger than 2Gig, I am 1.3Gig and it's fine***
5) Unmount the drive and disconnect your S7 from your computer and reboot. All your data on the internal card should still be there intact***My S7 reformatted the internal card, so you will probably lose the data***, and you will see its size reduced by the amount of your new partition.
6) Install link2sd from the Market***Do not use the one from Market, search for v.1.7.0 and use that, then replace it with 1.8.0***, run, and reboot again.
7) You can now start linking software and its associated Dalvic Cache to your SD. Install more software, link, etc.

Just a note, when your S7 prompts you to allow link2sd superuser access, allow it.

That should do it

Tom"

----Good Luck! the s7 is a good little machine once it's set up this way with more App space.

pedrojb

Sep 18, 2011
Hello

Thanks all for your´s colaboration and all help given.

In fact I´m in a "circle" of the same problem. After partition´s format with success the tablet don´t recognise the SD card when I install in it, neither the Links2SD. Send´s me all the time to Format the SD card. Since I format with this way, Link2sd dont recognize it. So, I can keep here for ages that I wont find the solution.

I was trying to find an older version of Link2sd but I couldn´t. Manxman, thanks for the tutorial and I´ve sent an pm for you.

I attached in this message a print screen of an image in Link2SD to see the error messages that is giving me. One thing that I think curious is that the Link2SD tell´s me that the "second partition is not found"! I´ve all the time conserved this partition, I think when tablet format SD card partition do that in the first one because all the time the SD card keep´s the 1st partition with 5Gb and the second partition with 2GB. Maybe if you see you can find some more than what i found!

Tom, thanks again for your help, very helpfull.

Meanwhile I´ll try this way with this last suggestion; because in fact I think the tablet it worth 100% with all this well configured.

Thanks again $ScreenShot.png
Best regards
pedro

pedrojb

Sep 18, 2011
Can close the topic please, solved and done!

Want thanks Kurtlen, Tom and Manxman for their value help. Very grateful

regards
pedro