Help\Advice With New Tablet & KitKat OS

RickH

Nov 6, 2011
I Am going to have to upgrade my Galaxy tab 7, (Sprint), that I have used for 5+ yr, w\12g in 3 apps & data, that I use regularly, installed on sd card. I recently purchased 2 different tabs, from major manufacturers, w\KitKat,(4.4.2)os, (wifi) & can find no way to bring that card/related data to the new hardware,(or find definitive rooting info to make os changes). Also unable to "import" settings,logins\passwords, wifi, etc that I backed up to sd on a regular basis. As my skills are in a different field, I am not enamored with the idea of trying to “root”,( & possibly bricking or voiding warranty) of a new “tool” that will set me back several hundred $$.
Also wondering if enough has been seen of Lollipop, 5.*.* to ascertain if r/w to ext1 or ext2 has truly been restored? I use my tab to interface with several telescopes w/"goto" functionality, tab communicates via bluetooth w\computerized handset. To function, Tab must have e-compass\geo-magnetic, gyro, hall-effect(?unsure), & gps sensor. This has limited me to 3 manufacturers that list these sensors "on-board". (Samsung, Lenovo, Asus), I have returned 2 lenovo's w\kitkat), & have a Tab Pro 12.2, (wifi), coming, all retailing for $600+. At this stage in my life, I probably have 1 shot @ continuing on with my endeavors, losing all this data sets me back 4+yrs & not enough time for a "redo"/rebuild. It appears that ALL my unique data for the 3-5 apps, (10-14g), that I use, is/will be inaccessible or unmodifiable even if I purchase a 64g version to allow installation & still have enough storage to work with. I have spent 5+ yrs building the data for these apps, also hundreds of, primarily, marked up books & related pdf docs, WiFi\logins\passwords info, etc that I will not be able to import, mod & re-save anymore. Any suggestions\work-arounds you can suggest would be appreciated.

Thanking all in advance.

RickH ~Per ardua ad astra~

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum Rick

Saving any data "only" to the SD card is a dangerous practice, especially if it's important. Saving apps to the SD card is an even bigger crap shoot, especially if you try to use the card in a different tablet, but the apps can usually be installed again. The data is the biggest deal. I assu7me the old tablet is no longer available for you to get the data to the cloud or your computer?

RickH

Nov 6, 2011
Old tablet is still available, (barely, crashes, spontaneously reboots), is set to backup to google servers, (i don"t think any sd card info is included in this though) have not figured out how to verify that, backup also to mybackup Pro & Gcloud, none would migrate info to Lenovo tabs w\KitKat. 1 of the services appeared to complete migration, but everything "disappeared" on reboot.
I had no choice with running these programs from sd card, (they were installed there by the os, Gingerbread), too big, I thought I was backing up fastidiously, & have been able to use my transferred data on my Galaxy SII running 4.1.2, but no joy getting ANY info into KitKat, including WiFi logins, passwords, browser logins, etc
Have just received my Samsung TabPro 12.2, (4.4.2), but have not had time to work with it. BTW, Lenovo told me me that, w\o "rooting", getting my data into 4.4.2 had been intentionally "locked out) by Google, but thought Samsung's migrate\restore between old & new would work, (Samsung Tech thought the same, but was dubiously vague). Lenovo allowed me to return twice for this problem, Samsung also told me the same.
I have read that installing\transferring\restoring(?) via pc would get around most of the os limitations, but have not tracked down the method. Samsung offers Kies, but due to Sprint limitations it's not available for there older branded products. HELP!!

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Anything on the microSD card will not get backed up and Google doesn't back up an of the media, either on the MSD card or the internal memory, It does back up some settings. My suggestion would be to install AirDroid and copy the contents of the MSD card to your computer ASAP.

RickH

Nov 6, 2011
All the info that I can identify has been "backed" up to cloud servers & local pc hard drive. once a week for complete system, (do not know\have not been able to determine what is in this "data" though), & incremently updating media; pics\contacts\music\etc nightly, (this also looks @ apk version & keeps version copies, i can "roll back" if needed). But how do I continue to use this data on a new device? I have yet to find a way to move\open & possibly edit "data", including documents, into a kitkat based device, installing apk from BU or market is not an issue. Dozens of pdf's that I routinely opened w\multiple programs for review & want to mark-up or edit now either "disappear", usually on reboot or will not save\reopen, (I have read that a program needs to "own" the data, & can only be edited & saved by a single program).
BTW, airdroid, Shareit, es file explorer, foxfi(pdanet+) cannot connect thru their hotspot/share option on sprint tab, apparently sprint has blocked this function, & forces a conection attempt via their 3g network. I no longer have the tab on Sprint, but none worked when 3g active either.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Based on reading that fairly long paragraph, twice, I'm a little confused about some things. How, exactly, were you backing up the data that could be backed up? If it was G-Cloud (for example), it misses a lot and does not backup data associated with the apps, only media like music, photos and documents. No backup program will back up the app associated data unless you were rooted.

On the apps owning the data, that only applies to the app's data, not the media and had you been rooted and properly backed up that should be able to be restored, certainly to the same device.

There is, however, the problem of trying to do that on a different device as the apps can be installed again from Google but the data, maybe, maybe not, even from the backup. The apps may not restore to a dissimilar device from a rooted backup because the signature of the app belonged to the other device.

RickH

Nov 6, 2011
Tablet has been set for yrs to BU(?) sync to google servers, my understanding is that will bring everything back, (no sd card info), sys setting, wifi settings/logins etc if necessary to factory reset. Cannot verify or even find the files on google, apparently no access provided\allowed by google. Gcloud is a separate app, (http://www.gcloudbackup.com/ ) & (http://www.androidcentral.com/g-clo...s-pretty-good-job-backing-your-android-device), & offers card backup. Mybackup Pro, (http://www.rerware.com/), offers migration. using both for app 5wks. both are\were editors choice @Samsung.
Have tried to root sprint tab, (towelroot, kingroot, framearoot) unsuccessfully & stopped, not wanting to make the situation worse.
PS~~~not trying to write a book!! I am just "anal" about details!!

RickH ~Per ardua ad astra~

RickH

Nov 6, 2011
One more time, sorry, figured I could copy\paste app data into correct folder after app install, but that is apparently not allowed either w\o root & modifying permissions.

ES44AC8102

May 26, 2015
RickH,

I know I am 'late to the party' with my reply but I recently joined the forum and was perusing older postings.
My experience with backups on the PC's I build and maintain is this: The only way to know your backup is going to work is to try it.
Not to sound harsh but it's the only way, instead of hoping when the day comes and you really need that data, your backup or image will actually save your bacon.
I have had great success with Acronis for both MS OS's and Linux. I am not an Android expert and don't hold myself out as such.
All my disc images for the PC's go to an external HD, not the cloud. I want my data here where I can keep an eye on it! :D

Good luck and I hope you found your answer!

"ES"