Help! .nomedia file reinstalls itself in asus filemanager and data folder!

Crooner

Mar 10, 2016
Hello All. I have an Asus Transformer 10"" running android 4.1.15. and have been happy with it until yesterday...when all of a sudden my Gallery app could not find recent pics and my audio and editing apps could not find any mp3s except ringtones from Hangouts and Whatsapp. I traced the problem to a file called .nomedia which was in my music, download and picture folders..deleted, rebooted and they were back!! I downloaded ES file manager found all the hidden folders and deketed a few more entrues including in the co.asus filemanager and app data storage folders..no change! I have run anti virus, malware bytes and nothing detected..but on reboot the .nomedias were back. It is driving me crazy! I have now copied all my important files on to an external drive and on to a USB..and am about yo try a factory reset..but befire I do that..has anyone else had this problem? And if so..did you solve it?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum

That .nomedia file is usually something user created to do exactly what it was doing. I don't understand how it would just appear. Did you purchase the tablet new?

By default, with a reset, it should not reappear unless you have installed some sort of app, like a privacy app that may have caused it in the first place.

Crooner

Mar 10, 2016
Thank you so much for responding so promptly! Thing is, I do have a " privacy app" ( Gallery Vault) for fotos, but have had it on my tablet for more than a year and this problem only started yesterday...and now is only affecting my mp3s. The only 2 new apps..installed more than a month ago..are Dolphin browser and Twitter. I am thinking possibly one of my apps updated and the update caused this problem..but which app? I can use ES file manager..and a newly instalked app called nomedia viewer to locate all the entries.,down to 3 from 11..but they only tell me where the .nomedia files are located and when they were created..not the app that generated the file. So, I guess I will try the reset and hope for the best. In any event I will post again to report the results. Just want to finish by saying I do not for one minute think this is an ASUS or firnware problem. As I said I have been more than satisfied with my Transformer..it is fast, has a great display, good cameras and excellent sound and is my best friend on my travels. Hoping I can undo whatever was done and keep on enjoying my ASUS experience...:)

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I would uninstall that Gallery Vault app and see if the problem persists. It may have changed a setting or updated with some different settings/features.

Crooner

Mar 10, 2016
It wasn't Gallery Vault..It was Google Play Music! Something..in someway corrupted it..as soon as I disabled and forced stop my problem went away!!! But it came pre-installed..could not undo the latest update so I went ahead and did the reset anyway. Only took 15 minutes and I was up and running again.