Help! - Playing Web Video - Havent found a Tablet that works as flawlessly as Ipad

ucla54

Jun 5, 2012
Hello

I've owned multiple android tablets. Asus TF 300, Toshiba excite 10, and now the Samusng Galaxy Tab 2 10.1. I haven't found a tablet or browser for that matter that will play web video flawlessly.

Meaning anytime a youtube (or other) video is integrated into the web page, it either doesn't play or it plays and it's choppy, or you can't access the controls easily (i.e. rewind, pause, full screen).

I've used all sorts of browsers and settings. The best one so far is using the Dolphin browser with the user agent set to Ipad, but even with that, you can't easily adjust the controls.

I want integrated web video to work as flawlessly on my tablet as it does on my phone (Samusng Epic 4G touch). How can I make that happen??!?! This is part of the reason why people prefer Ipads to android tablets....and I'm huge android fan. I want this to work. Help!

Either post here or e-mail me at ucla54 @ yahoo . com

Thank you!

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Welcome to the forum!

I have to say that Flash and ICS is no where near as refined as it was on Honeycomb in my experience. I think Opera Mobile is the best browser I have found for Flash playback.

What I find funny, about once a week my wife finds a video someone posted on Facebook and she has to have me play it on my TF101.

Honestly, the best part about it is trying to get the URL of the video copied and emailed to me. Sharing on the iPad leaves a bit to be desired once you have had Android.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
It's possible, being that you have tried so many tablets, that your problem is your WiFi connection rather than the tablets. Try doing the same at a public WiFi hotspot or 2 and see if there is a difference. I don't have any more issues playing videos on my Transformer than I do on my high end PC. I have a 20 M-bit connection and still see issues even with YouTube stalling every now and then.

ucla54

Jun 5, 2012
Wifi is a 10mbps connection. And integrated web video plays flawlessly on my wife's Ipad. I'm looking for the same result on the tablet. Is there a setting, app, browser that will solve this?...

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Wifi is a 10mbps connection. And integrated web video plays flawlessly on my wife's Ipad. I'm looking for the same result on the tablet. Is there a setting, app, browser that will solve this?...

What you say is probably very true, but different tablets use different chipsets and different chipsets respond differently to different router settings. When some people on a sister forum made changes that made their tablet run more smoothly they also found improvements with other devices. The first thing to try would be to restart the router. Another thing would be to experiment with a change in the channel you're using.

With my router I get excellent video on my tablet but that doesn't mean you, your tablet and your router will be the same.

ucla54

Jun 5, 2012
I tried it all last night, different routers, different channels, two different tabs, no luck, same performance. With all the settings my android phone worked fine, and so did my wife's ipad, but my android tablets had the same performance issues with integrated web video....it really shouldn't be this difficult....

dvkvevev

Jul 26, 2012
I tried it all last night, different routers, different channels, two different tabs, no luck, same performance. With all the settings my android phone worked fine, and so did my wife's ipad, but my android tablets had the same performance issues with integrated web video....it really shouldn't be this difficult....

I have the exact same problem and have tried settings as well with no luck. And the same video will play flawlessly on my iPad. Very frustrating. Don't want any more - it's your wifi, updates, etc. suggestions. I am an IT professional and have tried all the obvious fixes. I would like to hear what is causing the problem exactly and the fix. If there is no fix then I want to know that as well when putting a support query into Asus. Between the wifi, the gps, and the video playback (plus some other browsing problems), I am ready to demand my money back from Asus since the product is unusable as is.
I hope this at least confirms that your problem is real ucla54.

dvkvevev

Jul 26, 2012
I have the exact same problem and have tried settings as well with no luck. And the same video will play flawlessly on my iPad. Very frustrating. Don't want any more - it's your wifi, updates, etc. suggestions. I am an IT professional and have tried all the obvious fixes. I would like to hear what is causing the problem exactly and the fix. If there is no fix then I want to know that as well when putting a support query into Asus. Between the wifi, the gps, and the video playback (plus some other browsing problems), I am ready to demand my money back from Asus since the product is unusable as is.
I hope this at least confirms that your problem is real ucla54.

I should add that when I turned off images in web pages and turned off Desktop site so that it first loaded the mobile site that did help but it was still choppy compared to the iPad. That was with an embedded video in a site. And forget Flash - it's not worth trying because of the frustration. Apple did us a favor in helping phase it out.