Help!! Power Button Broken!! Won't Go On!!!

Apr 17, 2012
I have an acer tablet that I am renting, the last couple days I have been having problems with the power button not
"clicking" when I go to turn it on and feeling like its not working, I accidently turned the power off and was unable to get the power to go back on. I pushed down on the button until it was stuck so I open the back so I would be able to pop the power button back on, I did that and now the power button seems to be not working and I am unable to get the tablet to go on. The tablet still lights up when I plug it into the charger, I am hoping someone can tell me how to fix the problem without me having to take it back to the place I am renting it from. Does anyone know how to turn the tablet on from the motherboard? Thanks in adavance, Ashley.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Anyone?? Is there any other way to get the power to go on??

Every time I plug mine in (or unplug it) while it is sleeping, it awakes.

So I suspect yours is OFF, not just sleeping. If holding the power button in for 9 seconds doesn't cause it to
power up, I don't know of any other way to get it to do so.

Since you don't seem adverse to opening it up, I would open it up again and check that the
floating power button is installed correctly. If it looks like its on right, you might try shorting the switch terminals
for 5 seconds or so.

If the switch, which sits behind the battery took a knock and was broken off of the motherboard you
are pretty much going to have to send it in.

Apr 17, 2012
Every time I plug mine in (or unplug it) while it is sleeping, it awakes.

So I suspect yours is OFF, not just sleeping. If holding the power button in for 9 seconds doesn't cause it to
power up, I don't know of any other way to get it to do so.

Since you don't seem adverse to opening it up, I would open it up again and check that the
floating power button is installed correctly. If it looks like its on right, you might try shorting the switch terminals
for 5 seconds or so.

If the switch, which sits behind the battery took a knock and was broken off of the motherboard you
are pretty much going to have to send it in.

Thanks so much for replying! Yes the tablet is off and not just sleeping but it still lights up when I plug the charger in. I have opened it but I honestly have no clue what I am looking at lol where is the floating power button and the switch terminals and what do they look like?

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
$6279662-850-568.jpg

Top Center of the picture. See the numbers 14T4 (upside down).

The little black thing behind that silver 14T4, at the edge (top of pic) is the switch. Its no where near as big and robust as the two
switches that make up the Volume Rocker (upper right in the picture).

Its a push button switch. You could short it out briefly (even with the tablet open) by touching a wire or points of a small tweezer between the
two silver patches inlayed on the black body of the switch. The button sits against the edge that faces away of that switch.

Click HERE for all the pictures to study up what you are looking for.

But still, if you are renting, you might just take it back and get one that works. Too much messing around inside and you might end up buying it. You have to do a significant amount of teardown to get to that part.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
View attachment 6311

Click above picture for a larger shot.

Top Center of the picture. See the numbers 14T4 (upside down).

The little black thing behind that silver 14T4, at the edge (top of pic) is the switch. Its no where near as big and robust as the two
switches that make up the Volume Rocker (upper right in the picture).

Its a push button switch. You could short it out briefly (even with the tablet open) by touching a wire or points of a small tweezer between the
two silver patches inlayed on the black body of the switch. The button sits against the edge that faces away of that switch.

Click HERE for all the pictures to study up what you are looking for.

But still, if you are renting, you might just take it back and get one that works. Too much messing around inside and you might end up buying it. You have to do a significant amount of teardown to get to that part.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Thanks so much for replying! Yes the tablet is off and not just sleeping but it still lights up when I plug the charger in. I have opened it but I honestly have no clue what I am looking at lol where is the floating power button and the switch terminals and what do they look like?
The POWER button needs to be pressed and held like that for about 10 seconds. If you're holding the tablet you will feel it vibrate suddenly. Once it has done that you can let go the button. If you have damaged the button mechanism then you'll need to get ot fixed.

frnkws

Jul 30, 2011
I don't know why you guys hold the power button for 9 or 10 seconds to boot up.
I only hold mine for 3 seconds and it vibrates in 5.
Once you see the power button light up you let go.
You do not have to wait for the splash screen.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
We just tell them that long because most people are in too much of a hurry. Ihave never counted the time. Why hurry one wants the enjoy the experience!

strider_mt2k

Nov 22, 2010
Good lesson there kids: If a thing doesn't come on, pressing the button harder won't make it happen. (?)

Tough lesson.

userbe1155

Nov 8, 2011
I would just take it back to the rental shop & ask for another one. Surely this is wear & tear, not damage? Better still, complain & ask for your money back. You're paying for faulty goods. Tell them you'll go elsewhere otherwise, maybe if they want people to stay customers, they'll sort it out & give you a discount.

Sent from my M9701 using Android Tablet

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
I would just take it back to the rental shop & ask for another one. Surely this is wear & tear, not damage? Better still, complain & ask for your money back. You're paying for faulty goods. Tell them you'll go elsewhere otherwise, maybe if they want people to stay customers, they'll sort it out & give you a discount.

Sent from my M9701 using Android Tablet

Yes good advice to the customer not so good for the supplier.

However, I don't want to ruffle anyone's feathers with what I'm going to say next. No device is fool proof or idiot proof. There are many threads about this issue and many people have been helped over the past year or so.

The power button does not operate like a light switch (push to make, push to break). Push lightly and hold until tablet turns on - ie vibrates. Abit like an android phone.

simple as that.