Help!!! (wits a81e)

sakura1998

Dec 23, 2010
OK... Got Market to work, installed a few regular apps and now the tablet keeps rebooting at the login screen :S (sometimes it hangs on the 'green screen' and never reaches the 'ANDROID screen' too...)

It starts as usual and reaches the home screen and prompts me for the pattern. The first time (after the first time it crashed and also the first 'unwanted auto reboot' after removal of the battery) it almost lets me draw the pattern before it reboots back the 'white ANDROID on black background' screen.

Thereafter, I only get a few seconds before reboots (forced closures - once I saw the message for a fraction of a second)

What can I do!! (can I reinstall the firmware if I'm unable to start the tablet??)

BTW... There were 'forced closures' on lots of apps pre-installed by the ebay seller. I don't know if that's in any way relevant...

My tablets a lemon!

EDIT - I got past the lock screen finally and it STILL force closed 3 seconds after (so it's not the lock screen) Following the steps below exactly, I am still getting zero response)

Last edited:

sakura1998

Dec 23, 2010
Tried the following, but just a black screen...

6.3 Update firmware You can update the Android or Wince firmware by yourself
Preparation:
1* TF card, 1*TF card reader, 1*PC, download Format Tool, download latest firmware
Upgrading steps
1) Format the T-Flash card by using the Format Tool(must select the FAT mode)
2) copy the MLO file to the card first (it is important)
3) copy all the other files to the card
4) power off the device
5) Insert the T-F card into the device and take out of battery
6) Press and hold the left arrow key(which is near the Power Key), and then plug in DC until
you can see screen on and device start to update
7) There will be some bars and dots in the screen later.
8) It will take several minutes for the upgrading.
9) Just waiting, the device will boot by itself

V Checked ll of the below V (held the volume button till my finger got sore - same black screen :S)

Can’t upgrade the firmware?
USER’S MANUAL

-- Check if you download the complete firmware, usually there are six files of firmware
-- Make sure you format the TF card successfully use the Format Tool
-- Did you send the MOL file to the TF card first?
-- Check if you hold the volume down button when upgrading the firmware

Further edit - now it won't even try to boot regularly (officially a 'brick' :S)

Last edited:

vijaykhai

Jun 19, 2010
Sakura, though I am NOT an expert I have about 40 yrs. mainframe sW expertise for whatever it is worth ( NOTHING I think today!) and have been using A81E since mid-aug. I read and know from my own exp. you can NOT brick A81E even if you tried, unless ofcouse you got a LEMON! I will strongly suggest:
1. Try different SD cards - small size, make if you have
2. ALWAYS FORMAT using HP format utility - very essential.
3. Try different FW versions - I would recommend not only FW 1208, 1128, 1030 etc.
4. Also check GadjetsandTablets.com for reader comments, FW versions and FLASHING procedure.

Good luck and keep us informed.

maxhagen

May 26, 2011
Tried the following, but just a black screen...

6.3 Update firmware You can update the Android or Wince firmware by yourself
Preparation:
1* TF card, 1*TF card reader, 1*PC, download Format Tool, download latest firmware
Upgrading steps
1) Format the T-Flash card by using the Format Tool(must select the FAT mode)
2) copy the MLO file to the card first (it is important)
3) copy all the other files to the card
4) power off the device
5) Insert the T-F card into the device and take out of battery
6) Press and hold the left arrow key(which is near the Power Key), and then plug in DC until
you can see screen on and device start to update
7) There will be some bars and dots in the screen later.
8) It will take several minutes for the upgrading.
9) Just waiting, the device will boot by itself

V Checked ll of the below V (held the volume button till my finger got sore - same black screen :S)

Can’t upgrade the firmware?
USER’S MANUAL

-- Check if you download the complete firmware, usually there are six files of firmware
-- Make sure you format the TF card successfully use the Format Tool
-- Did you send the MOL file to the TF card first?
-- Check if you hold the volume down button when upgrading the firmware

Further edit - now it won't even try to boot regularly (officially a 'brick' :S)

Hello... where you able to unbrick the A81E? I have the same problem. Tried to upgrade to the 1128 but now is a black screen with no response... Can somebody help me. Is there a reset button where it can start loading the upgrade again. Im sure I used the HP tool to format and tried other SD cards....

Any step by step guidance will be greatly appreciated.