Herotab M8

vidavi

Feb 23, 2011
I bought herotab m8 from merimobiles. Herotab M8 android 2.2 1024*768 Capacitive 1.0GHz Built in GPS

I am facing a couple of problems and there is no dedicated thread for this tablet i post here for your help

1) I cannot access market even if i do the steps suggested in the video provided by clearing cache etc. Is there any other way to enable market, otherwise my tablet is useless!!!!!
2) If i shut down my device all settings are gone(google accounts, data) and i have to do all setups all over again. Is that normal? That way i am losing all my data, its like hard reset.
3)Sometimes if i turn off the tablet i cant seem to wake it up again. The only way i can wake it up is by pressing reset which causes to lose all data and settings? Is that normal also?
4) i go to www.wrc.com to watch some videos and it says "You need at least version 9 of the adobe flash plug-in to view these videos". It supposed to support flash or i am doing again something wrong?

Plz help a newbie...

Thanx in advance

Mr Dasher

Jan 8, 2011
Wow first M8 post. - From memory I believe that there is a link to a youtube video on Merimobiles that explains how to install market on a non market tablet. I just can't remember which tablet it was for. you may want to do a youtube search. It seems you don't have Flash installed. even if you don't have market you can find the flash.apk file to install,

I think the inability to save your settings is a bit of a concern. have you tried reflashing your rom?

I was t
I was th

vidavi

Feb 23, 2011
I talked with Merimobiles support. The firmware that M8 came to me was 0.9.6 rc2 and the strange thing is that the latest firmware they have on their website is 0.9.6rc1. I am going to downgrade today to see what happens.
Two are the main concerns for now to go further.
First of all when i power off it resets and loses all my setting and second one is that i cant wake it up sometimes and i have to reset it and lose all my settings as a result.
Then i ll see about market fix and others.
Fingers crossed that their firmware is ok, otherwise i would be very sorry...

Edit: I flashed 096rc1 from site and everything is fine so far, i managed to root it with z4root, market fix, flash, very smooth, i am so pleased :)

Last edited:

Mr Dasher

Jan 8, 2011
Welcome to the world of Chinese Tablets. :0)

I think the market issue and flash are an easy fix. If you're able to reflash your ROM than at least you know you don't have a memory write issue so the problem is probably software. I read the ROM name and saw "rc" which usually means that the software is a release candidate and not the final product.

I don't own the tablet but was thinking of buying one for my girlfriend. Besides the problem of not being able to save your settings how do you find the tablet. Screen size, build quality, etc. thanks.

Last edited:

vidavi

Feb 23, 2011
As for now i think the tablet is excellent.Screen responsiveness feels equal to galaxy tab and even better. Size is what i wanted, cause 10 inch seemed big and 7 small for me. Tablet is lightweight,just 500 grams,making it easy to carry. Processor feels a little laggy to big pdf files and hd movies. Angry birds is smooth.Thats all for now. I will keep testing, any inquiries are welcome

Sent from my UM2801B using Android Tablet Forum

deathofkai

May 6, 2011
wow, I was getting worried there... I've been looking at this tab for like a week or 2 and I've been trying to decide which tab to go for...glad you got the device up and running, which version of z4root did you use and what version of android do you have, 2.2.1? (did Permanent Root work?) ?

also, hope you don't mind, but i have quite a few questions for you on this device :p

1. Is it possible for you to try an HD game like N.O.V.A. 2, Rainbow Six Shadow Vanguard, Modern Combat 2, etc??? (these games are HD from GameLoft, would like to get an idea of HD gaming performance seeing as this tab has a High Resolution screen with a S5PV210 Sams processor.)

2. How do full HD (1080p) vids work? lagging/skipping, voices out of sync, etc?

3. Battery life with Wi-Fi on and normal brightness?

4. Possible to see how well psx4droid works?? (PS emulator)

Looking forward to your response, thank you in advance:)
DoK

Last edited:

vidavi

Feb 23, 2011
My android version is 2.2. I used z4root 1.3 from xda. Battery life is for me about 4 to 5 hours fully charged, while i was playing some games a bit(angry birds etc), installing some apps through market, reading some ebooks with aldiko, watching an xvid movie of 50min length. Overall i have to say its a pretty decent device.
The cons i see is that sometimes i cant power it on when in sleep. I have to reset it and then power it up. I am used to it and waiting for a fix. There are some lags with huge pdf files but thats ok for me.I havet tested with full hd movies yet. I have to clarify that it is a 2point touch device and not 10point multitouch tested with multitoutch visible test suggested by others. For the games you mentioned, i will test them this weekend and report back cause i am @ work right now.
Hope i helped

deathofkai

May 6, 2011
awesome...that's a big help, thanks :)amped to hear your response on the HD games n Movie/trailer:Dotherwise have an awesome weekend, and enjoy work :pThanks for the help so far...DoK_____________________________________Was also working when I replied above...So you managed to watch 50min video, play games, browse the And Market, etc and you still got 4-5hrs?! that's awesome. How's the GPS function? Does it pick you up within reasonable distance like TomTom's and Garmins, etc... not really important, just curious...Look forward to hearing your experience on the HD gaming :)

Last edited:

vidavi

Feb 23, 2011
Sorry not to post later, the tablet still works 100%, i am very pleased with overall performance. Today i also used gps to navigate, and it is very accurate. It took about 5 minutes to lock but after that it locks immediately. I still havent tested the games you mentioned, as i dont know where to get them. Hd movies perform well, no stuttering at all. I even have to tell you that i watch movies, listen to mp3s through usb port which is very convenient.
The only con i have noticed is that sometimes when i hold the tablet in a certain way(which i havent figured it out yet) the display doesnt respond when i touch it. The moment i re-hold the tablet in any other way everything comes back to normal. Its strange but its true.
Battery, as mentioned in earlier posts, full charge lasts 5 hours at least with medium brightness.
Market fully working except it is earlier version.

deathofkai

May 6, 2011
awesome, so the tablet's still running:D can you watch 1080p HD movies from the flash drive or do you have to put it on the tabet/micros sd card? I'll PM you the link for those games. Does the WiFi give a good signal?

(Check your PM)

vidavi

Feb 23, 2011
Wifi works excellent, i downloaded over 600MB for the above games you mentioned. These games dont even start up, i see the welcome screen of gameloft(Nova hd i show even the welcome movie), and then nothing happens. I think it has with the version, cause i am getting no error messages or whatever. Every media file i watch is via the usb port, i dont have to put media files to sdcard, but i have to mention that hd movies with rockplayer lite i use are laggy. After installing a couple of applications and games, i have come up to these conclusions.
1)Tablet is what i wanted from the beginning as far as dimenesions concerned. Weights about half a kilo makes is easy to carry with one hand. Screen size is suitable for any kind of applications that i use(aldiko etc)
2)Excellent connectivity through wifi and usb ports makes it no pain to view files and media
3)Sometimes if i put it to sleep, it hangs and i cant turn it on. It gets very hot at the back and i have to reset it. I am used to it and every time i am finished i turn it off as boot time is acceptable(less than a minute)

I think most of the problems will be solved when go to gingerbread

deathofkai

May 6, 2011
So far the tablet seems to do everything I want, except there's no certainty the HD games will work...haha, leaves me in the same position really, I'm still deciding between the Herotab C8 / Dropad A8 and the Herotab M8... It's basically the HD games that are the deciding factor.

I thought I'd Email GameLoft themselves to see if there's a problem with the Generic Tabs or if it'd just depend on what versions of the games you download.

Thanks so much for all the help so far. Feel free to let me know of any other good or bad things about the tab as I have to wait till the 5th of July anyway, for stock:(

Thanks again

deathofkai

May 6, 2011
Hey again,

Are you / or are there any custom firmware/roms yet for the M8? I see there's CyanogenMod 7 and C8lean for the Herotab C8/Dropad A8...

Please let me know if you've come across any Custom Roms.

Otherwise, any other/new news on the Herotab M8 that you've come across?

Stay well.

vidavi

Feb 23, 2011
I dont have come across any custom roms yet. Talking to merimobiles there will be soon a 2.3 rom. Waiting for that.