Hey All, New here with an Archos 7 HT...

chefdrew

May 31, 2011
Just got this this as a free gift the other day. I am wondering how much it can be improved by rooting it since it seems to be on the cheaper end on the Tablets. I have a rooted EVO 4G so I understand some of the process with recovery, flashing, etc...

I installed the new firmware on it last night but this thing runs pretty slow.

Does anyone have this particular devise, rooted, and what was the effect on performance after doing so.

I have read up on here and slatedroid but there does not seem to be much info on this device, maybe because it is one of the basic models.

Anyway, glad to be here and thanks in advance for any help.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Welcome, The critical question is whether you have a V1 or a V2 Archos 7HT. The V1 runs a very outdated version of Android (1.5) while V2 runs (2.1)
To answer some of your potential questions. No you cannot update/upgrade if you have a V1 version.
The slowness is due in part to the home launch program. It can be improved by loading the ADW launcher. There are others too. The default Archos launcher is a Memory hog for many.
The 2.1 can be rooted. I do not have a V2 but search and you will find instructions. The Archos brand while a good brand is very anti-root friendly.
You might try visiting ArchosFans as well.

Best of luck.

chefdrew

May 31, 2011
thank you for the info. I just left on the side of the box and it says V2. I think I saw a forum post on this site about rooting the V2. I will check it out. Thanks again.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk