Home page suddenly hijacked with ?Asus? battery display with adverts

windbag

Mar 10, 2016
My Tablet:
AsusMemoPad10 ME102A
Model K00F
Android 4.2.2

For the past few days, I keep getting a new display when I open the magnetic catch on my case (ie wake up tablet) - particularly if still connected to charge lead (intermittent if not)

It gives a full page of battery status & 3 charging options, with the lower half of the display is a series of changing adverts (see picture).
I've done nothing to request this, and I can't detect which app this is sourcing from, so I can't see how to stop it.

Doing anything makes the display scroll right and the go to my normal home page. I'm annoyed that something has hijacked my default home page as a billboard!

I have looked at the system->running apps, but there's nothing I can see that is obviously new.

Any ideas what it is/how to un-install or select an option to kill this?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-03-11-05-03-21.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-03-11-05-03-21.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 598

windbag

Mar 10, 2016
Nothing remotely like this seems to come up there with the searches I do.
Perhaps you could suggest more productive search words than I've conjured.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
This is almost certainly something added by an app you downloaded. Perhaps a list of your downloaded apps on the tablet might be useful.

windbag

Mar 10, 2016
This is almost certainly something added by an app you downloaded. Perhaps a list of your downloaded apps on the tablet might be useful.
Thanks for reply.
Short of typing them all out manually, is there an automated way I can generate such a list, perhaps by some sort of system utility or other app?

windbag

Mar 10, 2016
Thanks for the tip, Traveller, it was useful, but I have resolved this:
For anyone who comes here with a similar problem/hijacked front page screen:
I managed to deduce it was an app called "Power Clean" (10 million downloads and 4.5 stars), which seemed to have been useful for getting rid of junk without being obtrusive up to that point. So I PM'd them via their Facebook page, and they admitted it was them and how to get to the settings to turn off the "facility". I told them it was very obtrusive, especially as there was no indication it was their app that was the source, and that their app was nearly uninstalled as a result.
They said "we get it" - but I've just had a go at them again as their next update over-wrote my setup and the "facility" re-appeared.
This time I've told them: "Congratulations, your updates are now blocked."

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Uninstall the app completely. There are tons of alternatives to an app like that. For example, SD Maid. More than likely the app you used borrows from the Cheetah Mobile manual in "monetizing" the app.