Honeycomb (3.0) Transformer and 802.1x/EAP authentication

chadzo

May 31, 2011
I have an Asus transformer still on 3.0. I have been trying to get it to work with my company's Wifi with little success.

We use 802.1x/EAP authentication. The password is not static but rather based on a secure token that constantly changes. I really have two issues:

1) I can't seem to make the initial connection using the correct credentials, it just says connecting.

2) Even if I do, I need the tablet to prompt me for a password everytime I join the network rather than to save the password and try to re-use it. (This causes bad things to happen)

I got this to work with my IPad in the past by creating a custom wireless profile but I have no idea how to attack it on the Honeycomb.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

jaamgans

Jun 6, 2011
Haave you tried the advanced option under wireless settings? You should be able to put a custom profile there - the only problem with Android is that you only get one profile, so if you are changing regularly betwen home and work this could be a pain. Not sure if honeycomb fixes this.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
this is a known (major) issue and it is being worked on right now. i know of at least two different tickets at Google for engineers working on solutions. I am in the same boat at my office and am eagerly looking for a fix.

chadzo

May 31, 2011
Still no good fix/work around for this. My SecureID token is getting locked on a regular basis now. I have IT on speed dial. Since our system now randomly asks for "next token code" its even worse. If the access point asks for the next token code Android just keeps sending the same one without asking me and bang, all of my remote access (all my devices) are locked out.

Since this latest change to our security protocol my tablet is pretty much useless at work. iPads, however are working great since they have a "Prompt for Password" option in their wifi config.

Hate to say it, but its probably time to go back to the ipad.