Wifi problem: Enterprise MSCHAPV2

Jan 30, 2011
In order to connect to my school's network, I need to have the following wifi settings:

• EAP method: PEAP
  • Phase 2 authentication: MSCHAPV2
  • Identity: Your EID
  • Anonymous Identity: anonymous
  • Password: Your EID Password
But the GUI doesn't have those buttons. When I click on the network I am re-directed to the security page where I only have 2 buttons, reset to factory settings and show password (radio button on the latter.)

I'm on a 10.1 inch gtab with Tnt lite 4.2.0

Has anyone got a solution for this?

Things I have tried:

WPA enterprise apk: wifi is a perpetual error message, cannot connect to any network, effectively bricks device. [5/03] WPA-Enterprise WORKING for UT, UNSW, Georgia Tech - xda-developers

wifi advanced settings .apk: application is a black screen of nothingness

terminal: I have no idea how to get a terminal on this thing, and the android development kit for windows 7 64 bit is effectively broken.

jpfx

Dec 26, 2010
ye gods, they're not making it easy. This sort of authentication is more for thin clients/terminals, not for a tablet.
unless you decide to run a terminal emulator on your tablet... that might have the protocols to handshake with the school network.

Jan 30, 2011
I tried a couple of terminal emulators, but so far they all force close. I'm comfortable in the terminal, and if it has (pray?) man pages I'll be able to work out a fix or even a script.

Does anyone know of a good terminal emulator for TNT lite on G Tab?

Jan 30, 2011
I'll have to experiment. The problem is without a terminal emulator I can't really do much, and the device mounts /home/ as / when you connect it, effectively making it impossible to access the root drive.

I'm going to see if I can make it boot to USB with an ubuntu build I saw. I'll tell ya'll how it goes, but I probably won't try it until after this coming thursday. Diffy Q test :(

Jiriki

Apr 15, 2011
ye gods, they're not making it easy. This sort of authentication is more for thin clients/terminals, not for a tablet.
unless you decide to run a terminal emulator on your tablet... that might have the protocols to handshake with the school network.

This is not 'out-of-the-ordinary' and is quite common for organizations that are using RADIUS auth. for their wireless infrastructure often to pull from LDAP or AD for single sign-on. The sad thing is the settings are there it should work. Several othe Android based phones function for us, Driod, Driod2, Blur... I've heard that a few phones that upgraded to v2.2 (Froyo) break 802.1x auth. when they worked fine with v2.1. Some have been able to utilize the WiFi Advanced Config Editor to fix the problem. However, I just got a Xoom tablet and can't get it to "save" settings. 802.1x sets, PEAP sets, My ID, PWD save, as well as null for Anonymous... but the 2nd Auth. protocol setting always reverts to 'NONE' (we need MSCHAPv2).

Was on the phone for almost 45min with support, esclated from first contact, to level 2 tech, to level 3 tech and then told I would be gotten back to in 48 hrs. 4 days later I get an E-mail saying they tried me at the phone # I gave, but was told wrong number (I have 3 phone numbers of contact and they obviously had my E-mail right)... but the funny thing was they state that they will consider the matter resolved unless I contact them again... !!! Replied with 4 methods of phone contact, 1 page, 1 E-mail and 1 Website... been 2 days and no response.

Also, the VPN client is 80% there. Supports CISCO IPSEC, but not Group Auth.... what's up with that!!! Why create a client that's only compatible with about 50% of the implementation. The sad thing is I LOVED the Honeycomb interface, I think it blows the IPAD out-of-the-water; but from a work perspective iOS works both with Wireless and VPN natively (ever since v3)... Andriod better get on the ball and start requiring some consistancy across its Hardware adopters or it's going to go down in flames... if you can't make it work in the Enterprise AND Netflix, Hulu, etc aren't going to back you on the Entertainment side... well it's going to die in the Tablet arena... esp. at $599.

Flash... yeah was excited about that until I tried it. It sorta works for simple flash sites, but even simple slideshows are sluggish and have poor image quality... let alone many streaming sites won't work... although I hear its because the header context that is sent... supposedly there is a hacked flash apk that changes the OS var to WIN from AND and at least Hulu will then work.

So, to answer your question, try the WiFI Advanced Config Editor and see if it helps you make the setting changes, but don't hold your breath.

I took the Xoom back and waiting for iPad2 to get into stock... makes me sad.

If you want to read up on the bug: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=8804

Last edited:

Morgue

Apr 1, 2011
Well I thought this was part of the core android system from 1.6 (?)

We use this at work, and at my university and the phones phones I have had worked with it but I don't have my G-tab yet.