How to Backup?

Birdman

Dec 13, 2010
Hi, Is it possible to make a backup image or restore file of the google android tablet. I noticed in the device settings there is something called Backup, Restore but I want it either on a usb key, cd, or other computer just in case the tablet is non functional.
Thanks.

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
I used the "dd" command to image the mtdblocks to my sd card and then offloaded them to my Mac for safe-keeping. That's pretty straight-forward, but I believe it requires a rooted tablet.

However, I don't know (have not yet tried) to restore a tablet from dd backup images. I guess I'm assuming it can be done via ADB, but have not confirmed that. I have a copy of the factory firmware and now the firmware update - with their flashing utility - so I probably won't ever use the backup images anyway. I'm sure someone else on these forums knows.

Birdman

Dec 13, 2010
Thank you, I understand a little more how the tablet works. I will do some searching for the firmware and flashing utility.

I used the "dd" command to image the mtdblocks to my sd card and then offloaded them to my Mac for safe-keeping. That's pretty straight-forward, but I believe it requires a rooted tablet.

However, I don't know (have not yet tried) to restore a tablet from dd backup images. I guess I'm assuming it can be done via ADB, but have not confirmed that. I have a copy of the factory firmware and now the firmware update - with their flashing utility - so I probably won't ever use the backup images anyway. I'm sure someone else on these forums knows.