How to close an open window?

schabok

Dec 7, 2011
How I can close an open window? Even when I kill the app still its window is open when I click on the window switcher icon at the very bottom left of the desktop ( I amnot sure what thename of this icon is but its right beside the home icon)

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hello Schabok, congratulations on the new Transformer and welcome to Android Tablets. Glad to have you as a member of the forum. You'll have better luck getting help for your tablet if you post questions about it in the Asus Tablets section where the folks who own that tablet can be found. I'm going to move your thread over there for you now. Good luck!

jseah

Nov 21, 2011
The "window switcher" icon (the icon which shows two boxes) will show your most recent open apps. With Android, you don't need to worry about closing windows. Android will keep as many previously used programs available in memory as there is available memory. If your currently running app requires additional memory, then Android automatically frees up memory by taking resources away from other apps not currently running. This is done automatically and you don't need to concern yourself with it. This is why Android is so efficient at multi-tasking, and using task killers to close apps does more harm than good (it kills your battery because the task killer closes the app, and then Android opens it back up again).

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
As jseah pointed out, this button is called "Recent Apps". Many users want to clear this out because on a proper computer this would mean the programs are running (which is not the case with Android).

The only way to clear the list is to reboot the device. I heard that ASUS will be implementing a way to remove these with the Transformer Prime on Ice Cream Sandwich (and it may come to the TF101 as well) but that is to be seen in the future.

schabok

Dec 7, 2011
Thanks for your answers :)

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum