How to Factory Reset MID9042?

5arid

Nov 30, 2013
I have a MID9042 which was working until last time which I turned it off as usual but now it doesn't boot at all
It just gets stuck at Android logo no matter how long I wait
There is a Reset hole on the side, I tried to push it with a pin but it didn't help either
I started to google and I found out that it is somehow a common problem and the solution is "Factory Reset"
I found this info :

The mid9042 does NOT have the famous silver back button referenced in posts relative to Coby tablets.
To reset it to the factory settings (i.e., to get around a forgotten password/pattern):
1. With the pad OFF depress the "-" key on the volume control and the power button at the same time and HOLD them down until the “Coby” splash screen comes up.
2. KEEP HOLDING THE “-“ key down and RELEASE the power button until an android is displayed lying on its back.
3. RELEASE the “-“ key and press the “ ” key on the volume control You should see the Android system recovery options on the screen.
4. After the menu appears, select the “wipe data/factory reset > Yes “ menu item by pressing the “-“ key until the cursor is on the line
5. Press power button to select
6. After it goes through resetting, using the volume key to navigate to the “reboot system now” menu item
7. Select the menu item by pressing the power button to select
8. Your mid9042 will now boot to an unprotected screen, BUT you will have lost any applications you downloaded. You will, however, save all pictures, etc. you have loaded.

In step three :
3. RELEASE the “-“ key and press the “ ” key on the volume control
what is “ ” key anyway?
Is it a typo?
I tested different keys but none of them worked
Someone help me please.
Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Using the hard key buttons can be difficult. You are on the right track. I don't have a 9042, but keep trying key combinations and you will figure out the sequence.

More info here:

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-do-i-factory-reset-my-tablet.html#post297292

It looks like the " " refers to Any Key. Sometimes recovery will display with no text, just the robot on his back. touch any key to display text. If you don't see the robot, you are not in recovery.

5arid

Nov 30, 2013
Thanks for the link
I am testing with different key combinations and still nothing happens on the tablet.
I feel a great pain in my fingers though!

I am thinking about this line from your link :
If you see the word "Android", you've failed to access recovery and will need to try again at step 1
And this line from the tutorial which I found :
2. KEEP HOLDING THE “-“ key down and RELEASE the power button until an android is displayed lying on its back.
Aren't they in conflict with each other?!
Maybe the first one is Blue Logo of Android and the second one is a Android Green bot?!

5arid

Nov 30, 2013
Ok, I just found out how to enter the Reset Factory menu :
It seems when tablet is low on battery this menu won't come up
To bring up this great menu on MID9042 : Hold POWER and + Key at the same time for about 15 secend!
I continued with "wipe data/factory reset > Yes" and then "reboot system now"
But still the main problem is not solved and tablet won't go any farther than Android blue logo!!!!!!!!
Any idea?!

Last edited:

5arid

Nov 30, 2013
Nope, it didn't work either!
For permissions.zip it gives an error about permission
I could install permissions_signed.zip (renamed to update.zip) but it didn't solve the problem
The tablet still gets stuck on Android blue logo
Any other idea?

In this thread :
Help, COBY Kyros MID8042 stuck on 'Android' logo
tpaine said :
There is only one possible fix for your tablet. It is thru the use of livesuite recovery.
Any more info about this method?

I found another related file :
9042_recovery_signed
It is from this thread :
Coby Kyros MID9042 Stock ROM
Is it safe to apply it to my tablet?

Last edited:

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Is your tablet stock ? That is stock recovery and stock rom ? Did you have android debugging set in settings ?

Without a custom recovery and/or debugging set, your best chance to restore you tablet is the 9042_recovery_signed.zip if you can install from stock recovery.

This installs a cwm custom recovery which will allow you to install different roms. First thing to do after install is backup your current (non-booting) rom.

I had to eat my words over livesuite. Should not have written "only" as later replies in the thread showed.

Last edited:

5arid

Nov 30, 2013
My tablet is stock and I have never messed it up with rooting stuff
Yeah, I can install 9042_recovery_signed.zip from SD card but when I reboot the tablet it still gets stuck at Android logo so I can't access to or enable usb debug option!

For now I am reading about this guide and it seems promising :
Flash Firmware via Livesuit

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Did you use the keys to enter recovery ? If so, what do you see at the top of the screen ?

5arid

Nov 30, 2013
Did you use the keys to enter recovery ? If so, what do you see at the top of the screen ?

Do you mean after installing 9042_recovery_signed.zip?!
I didn't notice any change
Let me do the process again and see what is there!

It says :
Android system recovery <3e>
Android system recovery utility (coby: back/menu, home, power)
reboot system now
apply update from external storage
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition
apply update from cache

By installing 9042_recovery_signed.zip it says :
--Install /sdcard
Finding update package
Opening update package
Verifying update package
Installing update
[ ] Updating BOOT
[*] Complete!
Install from sdcard complete

Last edited:

5arid

Nov 30, 2013
Should I see anything other?
Can you tell me what exactly should I do?
It seems LiveSuit is somehow infamous so I try to avoid it as long as there is another way to revive my tablet

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Should I see anything other?
Can you tell me what exactly should I do?
It seems LiveSuit is somehow infamous so I try to avoid it as long as there is another way to revive my tablet

What the 9042_recovery_signed file is supposed to do is install cwm recovery on your tablet. If you can get that recovery to replace the stock 3e recovery, you can install stock or custom roms.

Post your problem to the thread where you got the file:

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-coby-kyros-mid9042-stock-rom.html#post299201

You can ask vampirefo, who posted the file, about your tablet there.

5arid

Nov 30, 2013
OK, I managed to revive my dear COBY MID9042
Our Chinese brothers really know how to revive a tablet
Here what I did at the end :
Follow this tutorial EXACTLY :
Flash Firmware via Livesuit
And use this img :
sun4i_crane_mid9042_120701_v2.img
Thanks everyone who helped me

Last edited by a moderator: