How to identify if app is optimized for tablet or for phone?

bj999

Mar 13, 2012
Hello everyone,

sorry for a *newbe* question.

I just got my asus prime tablet yesterday and was all excited to install a number of apps.
Once starting many of them I had to find out that they were developed for smart phones, e.g. the chess game was so tiny on my tablet that it just does not make sense.

I did not find a way how to filter the apps so only "tablet optimized apps" would come up.
Any guidance for me?

Cheers,
Bj.

bj999

Mar 13, 2012
Dear all,

281 views but no reply :confused:

Either my question is so stupid. In this case I'm sorry and refer to my newbe status... :)
Or my question is complexe which I don't think.

I'm sure you android tablet users are also interested in TABLET optimized apps.
Can someone give me a hint?

Thanks!
bj.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
The answer is Play Store fka Google Market is messed up and always has been. Sometimes you get false compatibility issues where an app says it won't work on your device but it does. Sometimes you get an app that doesn't work but it lets you download it only to find that out. I don't believe there is anyway to filter tablet apps and I think the goal is to have developers make one app that works for both. The best you get is a tab in the store that says "Staff Picks for Tablet".

Good luck :)

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Hi BJ, that's how it is on the forum, lots of people wandering around the threads trying to find the answer to their questions ,lots of newbes like you I guess. Lots of others , like me they never had the problem you had. I personally installed so many apps since i got my first Tablet and they all fit perfectly,never had the problem you had , sorry I couldn't help you. Did you try some app from the amazon market?
Gloria

Samsung Galaxy Note

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Danileo is right, I noticed now that you didn't post your question over at asus tablets... I'm sure they can help you there.

Samsung Galaxy Note

bj999

Mar 13, 2012
Hi all,

thanks for your replies. That helps :)

I have already been in the new play-portal and downloaded the apps there.
It makes sense if the developers manage to develop 1 App for both: phone and tablet. however, since the display size is quite different, the UI of course can be used differently for a tablet.

I'll continue to look in the asus tablet forum :)

cheers for now.
bj