How to install Clockworkmod recovery & Cyanogenmod 7 on Coby Kyros 7016 ?

silmarila

Aug 14, 2011
Does anyone know how to install clockworkmod recovery & cyanogenmod 7 on coby kyros 7016 ? Has anyone tried this before ?

Can the methods used for 7022 be applied to the 7016 ? (see below)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=14237828&postcount=2

I have installed both successfully on my 7022 and now I'm trying to find ways to do it on the 7016. I'm asking this since I'm not sure if the two have the same kind of processor (Telechips ARM 11--7016 & Telechips CORTEX A8--7022). But I'm making an assumption since they're both Telechips, I can use fun's method to do it..

Last edited:

fun

Aug 19, 2010
Thanks.. I'll give it a shot

Telechips custom firmwares | androtab.info
please read/understand this page before flashing anything, especially "DO NOT USE IF YOUR TABLET IS NOT LISTED BELOW. IT WILL BRICK YOUR TABLET!" part.

EDIT:
I checked COBY's site. there is no downloadable rom for 7016. you should make backup(dump) your unmodified stock rom before flashing anything.

it may be compatible with 7015, but I do not recommend to flash any files for 7015 before making backup.

if you want I can make cyanogenmod/clockworkmod for 7016, but it needs dump of your rom.

Last edited:

silmarila

Aug 14, 2011
I was unable to install Clockworkmod recovery using COBY Kyros MID7015 GB ROM on the 7016. Tried both methods; install from stock recovery using update.zip and fastboot flash recovery method via USB.

Each time I tried to boot into recovery, all I got was the "Entering fastboot mode.. please connect USB.. waiting.."

Last edited:

delsolboyz

Jul 4, 2011
I was unable to install Clockworkmod recovery using COBY Kyros MID7015 GB ROM on the 7016. Tried both methods; install from stock recovery using update.zip and fastboot flash recovery method via USB. Each time I tried to boot into recovery, all I got was the "Entering fastboot mode.. please connect USB.. waiting.."
You might have lost your recovery. Lets hope someone with a 7016 sucessfully dump their rom so fun can make clockworkmod. Then you can flash it with fastboot command.

nba1341

Jul 4, 2011
You might have lost your recovery. Lets hope someone with a 7016 sucessfully dump their rom so fun can make clockworkmod. Then you can flash it with fastboot command.

sounds to me like hes pressing the wrong button combo. There should be BOTH a recovery and fastboot mode.

delsolboyz

Jul 4, 2011
sounds to me like hes pressing the wrong button combo. There should be BOTH a recovery and fastboot mode.
Maybe you are right. You can get into Fastboot, Fwdn and recovery with different press of button along with the back button.

delsolboyz

Jul 4, 2011
I was unable to install Clockworkmod recovery using COBY Kyros MID7015 GB ROM on the 7016. Tried both methods; install from stock recovery using update.zip and fastboot flash recovery method via USB.

Each time I tried to boot into recovery, all I got was the "Entering fastboot mode.. please connect USB.. waiting.."

Any success of flashing clockworkmod on this thing? The 7016 supposed to be the replacement for the 7015. we going to see a lot of 7016 from now on

silmarila

Aug 14, 2011

Ya, I think so.. but now, I got my stock recovery back after flashing it using fastboot :D

silmarila

Aug 14, 2011
Any success of flashing clockworkmod on this thing? The 7016 supposed to be the replacement for the 7015. we going to see a lot of 7016 from now on

I believe the 7016 has a different processor/board than the 7015 (cobyusa.com identifies the 7016 to have Telechips ARM 11 while the 7015 Telechips TCC8902). I don't know what the deal is :confused:, but on fun's site it says Telechips TCC890X is ARM 11;

"TCC890x
The TCC8900 is a system LSI for digital multimedia applications based on ARM1176JZF-S, an ARM’s proprietary RISC CPU core offers a hardwired 3D graphic accelerator (Mali200 from ARM) to enrich next generation GUI and other graphical applications."

I'm not sure if this is the case the other way around (All ARM 11s are automatically TCC890X ??)

I read somewhere that newer tablets (7016 is a Coby 2nd generation tablet) have something called NAND lock installed on the firmware.. I can't comment on this since I haven't done any research on it. But if that is the case, then the first logical step would be to unlock it before doing anything else.

I've tried all rooting apps, but to no avail.

As for what fun said about dumping the rom, I don't think anybody is going to be able to do this since there's no way to get clockworkmod installed, let alone root..

fun

Aug 19, 2010
if you really want clockworkmod, try to dump stock recovery 1st.

why you got fastboot mode is clear. you flashed non-working image, so bootloader fallback into fastboot mode. you can see same behaviour on other Emdoor's tablets e.g. 7015, 7022.

silmarila

Aug 14, 2011
if you really want clockworkmod, try to dump stock recovery 1st.

I did. I got the stock recovery dumped successfully before trying to flash it with the 7015 clockworkmod image..
So are u going to be able to make a custom clockworkmod for the 7016 (and CM7 for that matter) if I send you the stock dumped recovery image?

I've just uploaded it.. you can get it here:
https://rapidshare.com/files/580762808/kyros7016_dumped_recovery.zip
(zip contains dumped_recovery.img & dumped_proc_mtd.txt)

Last edited: