Can't flash clockworkmod recovery or boot into recovery

May 3, 2011
Hi all,

I recently purchased a B&N Nook Color. Bear with me, because this is my first attempt at doing anything with custom ROMs for Android. For my first attempt I installed CyanogenMod7 following the steps here: Install CyanogenMod 7 Android 2.3 Gingerbread ROM on Nook Color

All seemed well, as I was able to boot into Android and it seems to work just fine. I figured the next step was to run the ROM Manager and flash CWM on the internal memory, then download other things from there. I have to insert the SD card (since if I keep it in at boot I boot right into CMW from the card) and connect to wifi. If I click anything but "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery" I get told that I have to do that first. However, when I click that option nothing happens. The title bar flickers for a split second and that's it. Nothing.

To further add to the mystery, I've tried a myriad of ways to manually flash CMW and they don't seem to affect anything.* Perhaps somewhat expectedly I am not able to boot into recovery mode without the SD card, ever. Holding power and rebooting into recovery or selecting the option from ROM Manager both just cause the device to reboot as normal. Somewhat ironically this seems to be the opposite problem of most people on the Nook, as they can't get out of recovery.

I've repeated the install steps several times and it hasn't changed anything. I'm looking for some additional things to try. ROM Manager is version 4.2. I'm not sure of the version of CWM but I got it from here: Index of /nookdev/clockwork/0.1-ext4

* [GUIDE] Install Clockwork Recovery 3 so you can flash CM7 - EASY - 3 METHODS - xda-developers
[ZIP][RECOVERY] EMMC Recovery Repair - xda-developers

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
When you Flash ClockworkMod Recovery, what is the install version it is giving you in ROM Manager?

Once you Flash CWM, you have to reboot normally...then go back into ROM Manager and reboot into recovery (obviously with your CWM sd card removed)

This should take you into the emmc installed CWR to flash kernels, etc.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Also make sure that you choose Nook Color (not old) when flashing Recovery from the newest ROM Manager. Choosing Nook Color old will try and flash CWR 3.0.0.5 which is not compatible with CM7.

JP

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
I would say if all else fails revert back to stock and re-root. Here is the link from Vics sig http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...install-cwr-save-root-revert-stock-image.html

I would not use the ext4 sdcard method to install roms anymore. Just make sure you have the newest version of clockwork installed via bootable sdcard or flashed internally. The best route to take would be stock>register nook>autonooter>install clockwork>backup system>wipe data and caches> install rom from sdcard in recovery.

Once you have solid recovery and a backup all you need to do when installing roms is: wipe data and caches> install rom from sdcard in recovery

claxdog

Nov 30, 2010
I am having the same issue ni matter what I do I cant get my nook to boot into recovery.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
The first thing you have to do is make sure you have CWR installed on internal memory in order to boot into recovery. You must also not be using an SD card with a bootable ROM on it or you will always boot into the ROM. Please confirm the steps you took to install CWR on internal memory and that you do not have a bootable SD card in the device.

JP