How to Install Linux on Tablet

5arid

Nov 30, 2013
I want to install Linux on my MID9042
I searched on the google and found this project : Linux-on-android
$Debian.jpg
It is possible to install Debian, Ubuntu, open SUSE, ...
It is really cool but as it says it just installs and runs inside of Android
I want something to install and runs on its own and that's what I call a real Linux!
Is there anyone aware of such a project?

5arid

Nov 30, 2013
I opened my MID9042 to find out its chip and here it is :

I searched the internet with keywords of "Linux Allwinner A10", and I found these websites which seems suitable for my device :

Minimal Debian "Server" image for the Allwinner A10 and A20 devices

Debian para Allwinner aXX

Debian Installer

Installing Debian On Allwinner

A10 image

Final Release of Fedora 18 for AllWinner A10 & A13 Powered Devices

The problem is I am a window xp user and I am not sure how to follow these instructions.
I have just a little experience with ubuntu and typing some simple commands in its terminal.
The term SDcard is so misleading, is it the memory inside of the tablet? Or is it the physical memory card?
Please help me to go in the right direction.
I just want to learn some new things and I don't care bricking this tablet.
Thanks in advance.

kevinthefixer

Developer
Feb 10, 2014
Hoo-Wee! You have bitten off quite a chunk there. I looked over the Debian-on-allwinner link you provided; you are certainly going to be doing a lot of work. You will need a full working Linux installation on a PC also; Ubuntu should do if that's what you have, but I think you'd be better off with Debian or Linux Mint Debian Edition if you're going to install Debian. I do not recommend Fedora for anyone who needs recommendations.

What they mean by SDcard in this case is the removeable micro-SD. It clearly states that installation to internal storage is not supported. I didn't take the time to read the entire post so I'm not sure if this one works the same as others I've seen, but most Linux installations on Android devices replace the Android recovery with a Linux boot image, and put the Linux filesystem on the removeable microSD. To boot into Linux you use the button combo that you ordinarily would use to boot into recovery, and instead you get Debian or whatever. In the case of your 9042 you would want to first be very sure you can finagle it into recovery at will.

Most of the confusing stuff on that page is basic Linux command-line stuff. Any dev work like this is going to involve a lot of that. You might want to look at this:

LinuxCommand.org: Learning the shell.

It is very much like using ADB shell, because ADB shell comes straight from Linux command-line interface. In fact it is Linux command-line interface, done through a USB cable. So if you have followed any of @Vampirefo's step-bys, you have an idea of what you'll be doing, just a lot more of it.

A word of warning, though: I have read about several installations such as the one you propose; I have not read about one that has been entirely successful, or has resulted in a useful working tablet. That does not mean there hasn't been one or more, it just means that I haven't seen it. Yet, anyway. Most of the problems seem to be related to touch-screen and wi-fi, and sometimes video and sound drivers.

Now if I haven't scared you off entirely, I certainly wish you luck, and I'll be glad to give whatever help I can. I am not actually a developer, not in Linux nor Android nor any other environment, so I don't know just how much help I'll be. But I'm certainly willing to try, and if you can make it work on your 9042, maybe I can get it on a 9742; I still have an extra one or two.

5arid

Nov 30, 2013
I am glad that finally someone commented on this.

I don't have any problem with command line, actually I learned PC with MS-DOS.
I can follow those tutorials once I find out how to start the process.

So first of all I need a PC running Linux, I didn't use Debian before but I think I can handle it.

I have the USB cable for connecting the tablet to the PC.
Should I turn off the tablet and connect it to the PC?
And Then Linux > Terminal > Follow the commands of those tutorials?

Or should I connect it while it is turned on?
Then enable USB debugging from the settings.
If so, what about the driver, do I have to install any driver of the tablet on Linux?

Maybe restoring the original ROM of the tablet via Linux and command line will give me a good idea on how to start.
Is there any step by step tutorial for this?

I have plenty of free time and I don't afraid of anything.
Also I promise not to cry if I brick this tablet!

Thanks a lot

kevinthefixer

Developer
Feb 10, 2014
Well you should start by re-reading the "installing Debian on Allwinner" a couple times. It gets pretty deep, lots of jargon, but you're going to have to study up on that one way or another if you're going to make this work.

I'd start with Linux Mint Debian Edition, it's easier to install and use than pure Debian, and has the same engine under the hood. But Debian has a clutch, 6-speed tranny, 2-speed rear end, and overdrive where LMDE has an automatic. Of course by the time you get Debian installed on a tablet you will be qualified for your commercial driver's license anyway.