How to root coby kyros 9042?

popoymotmot

Oct 4, 2012
hello i just bought a coby kyros 9042 and would like to ask how i could install google playstore on my device. I know playstore is not supported on all coby tablets but i have read some posts on rooting coby devices to install google playstore but i have not read one for the model 9042 coby, Can someone pls post a step by step instruction on how to root coby 9042 to install google playstore? thanks in advance.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
The rooting process for the 9042 is identical to the process for the 7042, 8042, 9742, and 1042. In Generation 3 Development is a sticky with a rooting tool. Use that tool, root your tablet, then make a dump of the system. Currently there is no firmware dump of a 9042, and thus no custom ROMs and no Clockworkmod; please, once you have made your dump, upload the zip to a download service like mediafire so that it can be made available for developers to use.

mercurly

Oct 23, 2012
I've been reading these threads all evening trying to figure out how to root my device also. If I can get it rooted, I'll gladly upload the firmware dump if it's still needed.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
If you've been reading these threads, you haven't been reading them thoroughly enough. If you're running Windows, there is a utility I have available in the Development Index sticky found in Generation 3 Development, which I mentioned in this thread already. You'll likely need the drivers however, which are found in the sticky in this forum.

hagsmich

Oct 24, 2012
I also have a Coby mid9042 and I am also trying to root it and get the market but with no luck. I've tried everything including Super One Click which hangs at step 7 waiting for device. I went to the sticky and followed the instructions to the best of my ability. I really need someone to walk me through this. Just remember you're talking to Forest Gump!

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I'm not a mind reader, and telling me that you're having problems without telling me where you are having problems is a waste of my time. I need to know exactly what you did, and where you are having problems in order to try and help you.

hagsmich

Oct 24, 2012
I'm not a mind reader, and telling me that you're having problems without telling me where you are having problems is a waste of my time. I need to know exactly what you did, and where you are having problems in order to try and help you.

I'm sorry, I don't want to waste your time, I was just looking for some assistance. I've tried every different option, on every thread on the internet to attempt to Root my Coby mid9042 including Super One Click root which hangs at step 7 waiting for device. I even went to the website that is advertised to root any android device. I paid them the $29 dollars and all they did is set me up with Super One Click root. I followed all of their instructions through all of their emails but I got the same result. I eventually got my money back because they just kept repeating their emails. I have USB debugging checked and accept apps from different sources checked but Super one click just doesn't work. I tried running a .bat file that I found on xda developers site and that didn't work. I've rooted my old phones before with Z4root but I've never dealt with a tablet. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I would even be willing to pay you the $29 dollars if you could resolve my issue.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I'm sorry, I don't want to waste your time, I was just looking for some assistance. I've tried every different option, on every thread on the internet to attempt to Root my Coby mid9042 including Super One Click root which hangs at step 7 waiting for device. I even went to the website that is advertised to root any android device. I paid them the $29 dollars and all they did is set me up with Super One Click root. I followed all of their instructions through all of their emails but I got the same result. I eventually got my money back because they just kept repeating their emails. I have USB debugging checked and accept apps from different sources checked but Super one click just doesn't work. I tried running a .bat file that I found on xda developers site and that didn't work. I've rooted my old phones before with Z4root but I've never dealt with a tablet. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I would even be willing to pay you the $29 dollars if you could resolve my issue.

Follow instructions below to root your device.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ot-recovery-update-all-without-livesuite.html

Following above instructions use recovery from below thread for your device.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...509-cw-recovey-v6-0-1-1-coby-7042-8042-a.html

Last edited:

afterlife2

Sep 24, 2011
Hi Is there a step by step video to root it? I don't want to ruin my 9042. Any help will be useful. Thank you.

afterlife2

Sep 24, 2011
Can I use google play If I use my browser? I registered it and it said it was compatible, but when I try to download it won't work. I have not rooted my 9042.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
No, because the Play Store won't know where to send the app. See, the thing most people fail to realize regarding the Play Store is that installing the Play Store app isn't enough. You also need the Google Services Framework. The Framework sends information about the device to Google's servers, allowing the servers to send apps to the tablet. Unlike most apps the Framework app cannot be installed like a normal app. It MUST be in /system/app, which means you must be rooted in order to place the app where it belongs.

Follow the instructions I give in http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ead-first-development-index-root-utility.html to root and install the Play Store.