how to root RK29 ?

zico_newbie

Jan 20, 2012
hello :) im am newbie on tablet , i am use Vandroid T2 from Indonesia how to rooting RK29 tablet? it is possible to rooting it with just superoneclick or z4root or gingrbreak (without falasing) ? and if it impossible, how to get my system.img? thnks before,, :)

Last edited:

Plajz0r

Dec 9, 2011
Try superoneclick, just set USB debug on and try it, u know if it worked it will tell u :)

EDIT: U can try gingerbreak.apk, just install and click root easy as that :)

Last edited:

zico_newbie

Jan 20, 2012
i have tried both, and they were not work , i have boot.img system.img. recovery.img from my stock rom, i have give su, superuser.apk to system.img but boot.img still dont mounted btw how to make update.img? i mean, update.img contain just system.img, boot.img, recovery.img ? or more than them? thnks before..

nizar07

Mar 4, 2012
hi zico ,your device is Vandroid T2 right ?.

any update ?? , i still stuck with boot.img :(

anunakin

Apr 20, 2012
zico_newbie, are you a Linux user?

On Linux use this command to see if you have a cramfs or ext3/ext4 system.img
Code:
file system.img

And if you have a ext3 file use that:
Code:
mkdir system
sudo mount -t ext3 -o rw system.img system

remove system/xbin/su
Code:
sudo rm system/xbin/su
remove system/bin/su
Code:
sudo rm system/bin/su

Now you need download Superuser: http://downloads.androidsu.com/superuser/Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip
Unzip it and look for Superuser.apk and su binary
copy Superuser.apk to system/app
copy su to system/bin
and create a symlink
Code:
sudo cp Superuser.apk system/app/
sudo cp su system/bin
sudo cd system/xbin
sudo ln -a ../bin/su .

Umount system
Code:
sudo umount system

Now you need burn you system.img
Try it: [TOOL] rkflashtool for Linux and rk2808, rk2818 and rk2918 based tablets

But the better way is get a full firmware and use: rk2918_tools
unpack your firmware
Code:
unpack_all.sh update.img fw
edit system.img
pack your custom firmware
Code:
pack_all.sh update.img fw
write it using RKBatchTool.exe , under Windows

I made it here for my Newpad T7 (a RK2918 tablet)

Last edited:

DanShane

May 16, 2012
I made a rooted ROM for Newsmy/Newpad T7:
Anunakin the Linux Jedi - Pinguino Dev Team!: Tablet Newsmy, Newpad T7 Android ISC 4.0.3 - rooted

Index of /android/T7

Tablet mode rooted_unofficial.tar.bz2
Phone mode (better fonts) rooted_unofficialv2.tar.bz2
Software win32soft.tar.bz2

I'm having real difficulty rooting my Newsmy T3 with the same chipset. If I boot the T3 in recovery mode Windows sees it as an Android Phone, but in normal mode it just mounts Linux File-CD drives. I have turned on USB debugging, but ADB DEVICES still won't detect the T3 unless I am in recovery mode.

Can you tell me how you managed to root yours?

Many thanks,

-- Dan --

anunakin

Apr 20, 2012
I'm having real difficulty rooting my Newsmy T3 with the same chipset. If I boot the T3 in recovery mode Windows sees it as an Android Phone, but in normal mode it just mounts Linux File-CD drives. I have turned on USB debugging, but ADB DEVICES still won't detect the T3 unless I am in recovery mode.

Can you tell me how you managed to root yours?

Many thanks,

-- Dan --

Hi DanShane,

I can't connect using adb to Newsmy T7, too... because it you need falsh a rooted ROM to have full fun with your tablet.

I Added drivers for T7 in flashmode, not recovery mode...
Download here:
Software/Drivers win32soft.tar.bz2
ROOTed ROM for Newpad/Newsmy M7/K7/T7

How to upgrade:
1- Turn off you tablet
2- Open RKBatchTool.exe
3- Connect USB cable (needs win32 drivers, included)
4- Hold MENU and press POWER
5- On RKBatchTool, you can see a green icon if your tablet was detected
6- Open ROM .img file and use RESTORE button to burn

Original ROMs: http://220.168.57.227:1949/cunchu/
If you get a Newsmy T3 ROM, and follow my POST above
I think you can get root on any newsmy rk29xx tablet.

Last edited:

DanShane

May 16, 2012
Hi DanShane,

I can't connect using adb to Newsmy T7, too... because it you need falsh a rooted ROM to have full fun with your tablet.

I Added drivers for T7 in flashmode, not recovery mode...
Download here:
Software/Drivers win32soft.tar.bz2
ROOTed ROM for Newpad/Newsmy M7/K7/T7

Original ROMs: http://220.168.57.227:1949/cunchu/
If you get a Newsmy T3 ROM, and follow my POST above
I think you can get root on any newsmy rk29xx tablet.

Thanks for trying to help.

Unfortunately, though Windows does load the ADB driver, and my T3 is detected as an Android Phone in Device Manager, the Rockchip Batch Tool does not detect my device as connected. Whether I am in the USB debugging mode in a standard boot or in recovery mode using VOL+ and POWER the result is the same.

You mentioned "flash mode" using MENU and POWER. I assume that's what I am trying to do, but I am not sure. Is the MENU/VOLUME rocker button meant to be pushed toward "+" or toward "-"? Neither way seems to get me what I want, so I cannot use the flash tool.

Discovered

May 23, 2012
My T3 acts weird when plugged in, hard to explain, but anyways. If anyone has a way to root the T3, Is there any custom roms for it or would I have to make one myself?

Edit: seems that it is already rooted, so I looked on the newsmy site and they have new firmware maybe I will try it.

Last edited:

SMALLJIM

Oct 13, 2012
Hello anunakin i flash your rom in my tab, with same chrs, rk29board, but mi tablet no turn on now, you can help me, rktool no detect it anymore any solution my tablet is hm0712c haier,

Thanks and srry my bad english

kolo333

Nov 4, 2012
Hello guys. I have got a Maxell C7 tablet. It has RK2918 hardware (Cortex A8 1,2GHz, GPU GC800 and 1GB RAM). When I have this tablet I don`t know anything about it. It don`t has root and I can`t found any rom who will do this tablet much faster (I have only 2200pkt in Antutu Benchmark). I was looking for in internet instruction what I have to do that my tablet get a root permission. I found very simple instruction. It probably works on everyone tablet which has RK2918 hardware. The biggest problem is installing ADB drivers.
I will try write to you instruction step by step what you can do.
Firstly - I rooted my tablet with no problems, but console ADB in my computer doesn`t work. This is funny, but this is true. If commands ADB will not work on your tablet - don`t worry!
The most important is install ADB drivers to your device. When I first plug-in USB cable my OS Windows 7 didn`t see my tablet. It only saw:
Partition I:\
Partition J:\
Linux File-CD Gadget USB Device
Linux File-CD Gadget USB Device
Device USB
Device memory USB
But where is name of my tablet? I disconnect and connect my tablet many times and the third time I saw new icon (name MID). This icon was in "other devices". You must install ADB Interface Device exactly on this icon (you can download this drivers from here: Google USB Driver | Android Developers). Name MID will change on ADB Interface Device. Now you can download this pack (RK2918+4.0+ROOT.rar) and do exactlly what write in this instruction (click SuperOneClick.exe).
I rooted three "No name" devices this method (of course of hardware RK2918).
Sorry for my english, it works excellent! But I don`t know what I have to do when I want install recovery and change my slow rom... any ideas?