Huawei s7 sensors - do we have compass? (AKM 8973)

majael

Nov 5, 2010
we all know from the specifications on tablet S7 has: one light sensor, one accelerometer sensor, but when i installed one sensor apk from market (just search for sensor in Market) the apk finds one AKM8973 sensor which means we do have a compass in our device.
Thing is how to make it work?

ivyvisors

Dec 29, 2010
Well using gps status, it does seem to use the compass. It's not brilliantly accurate though.

~Ivy

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Right. This works based on applications that are installed, as well as it can be accessed directly via software

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
If you have the latest Google maps hit the far right icon on the top bar for compass mode. Hit again for off.

Sent from my Ideos S7 using Android Tablet Forum App

majael

Nov 5, 2010
ya, guess is my bad
i'v uppdated boot.img to have the cpu unlocked, guess is not initializing corectly , also noticed that the camera (i have the one front camera version) is not working neither.
guess i have to reflash the firmware.

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
I have just flashed S7100R001C60B011 firmware. See the Singapore firmware thread.

Sent from my Ideos S7 using Android Tablet Forum App

majael

Nov 5, 2010
What version of hardware do you have? Mine is s101.:)
edit1 : i installed romania orange rom - still no compass on google maps, in fact is shown but no orientation
dont know what to do else
what rom do you have?

Last edited:

majael

Nov 5, 2010
Got a message from super compass: "sorry no compass detected in your phone...." just does not work

majael

Nov 5, 2010
just hited me - might be on google maps or other apk s that leave the impression that compass is working is just the gps that is giving directions like nwes. can some one post an img with sensor settings on one of those programs
some internal pictures with the magnetic sensor chip might help as well, so then will be just a driver missing

Last edited:

Music

Feb 5, 2011
I have tried a few compass apps on my S7(104) and they all work, but you only get a correct direction when you hold the tab flat in a clear place away from metal or electronic devices. the compass values you see in navigation apps musy becalculated from GPS data.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
I was about to start a topic asking how you can calibrate or operate the S7 compass so it gives you correct readings. The best advice I have found so far is to wave your device in a figure-8 pattern. It must have something to do with the accelerometers. I say that because one compass app even has a metal detector mode!

Joshua

Nov 28, 2010
I was about to start a topic asking how you can calibrate or operate the S7 compass so it gives you correct readings. The best advice I have found so far is to wave your device in a figure-8 pattern. It must have something to do with the accelerometers. I say that because one compass app even has a metal detector mode!

I find the metal back of the S7 inteferes with the internal compass alot.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
It looks like the compass/metal detector is working. It's pointing right to the metal back. :D