Huawei s7 slim does not shut down properly and then won't start up

Aug 29, 2011
Hi, I have just got a Huawei Ideos S7 Slim and enjoy the overall use of the tablet. However, when I try to shut down the tablet via the power-off button (and then selecting the shut-down option), the tablet only appears to half shut down. The screen goes black, but home and menu buttons stay very slightly backlit. From here I can't do anything. If I push or hold the power button, the backlit buttons briefly get brighter, but the tablet does not turn on. The screen is unresponsive. All I can do is briefly remove the battery. Once I have done this, I can start the tablet with the power on button an it seems to work fine, until the next time I try to shut it down when the strory starts again. Some questions:
1.) Am I being stupid and missing something obvious?
2.) Is there some solution to this problem (perhaps alternative shut down app?)?
3.) Is this a hardware problem or an app problem (The tablet is new, and only has a few extra apps added)?

Please help!

bladerunn3r

May 10, 2011
To answer your question: No, you aren't missing anything, this is a fairly common defect (hardware problem) these devices have (as evidenced in the forum complaints). As far as I know, the only way to deal with it is to do a battery pull.

Unfortunately these tabs are sort of pieces of crap. I really liked mine, but I had a host of reoccuring hardware problems that many other purchasers like you have or had. They all got worse over time and increased in frequency. Mine rarely did that (turned off with lights still on) when I first bought it; but it happened more and more often over time, always requiring a battery pull. I had mine shut off properly for a week. Then I turned it on a week ago -- and nothing. Won't turn on. Lights flash and haptic feedback buzzes--simultaneously--every few seconds -- as if it is trying to turn on, but can't. I wanted to send it to Huawei under their warranty, but I have no idea if they will honor it, or what their remedy would be, or how long it will take. Further, since I can't turn it on, I can't erase all my personal account information (gmail, facebook, etc) before I send it in. So I trashed the thing. It was a fun couple of months, but in the end I really regretted the purchase, since it was a total loss for me.

Sorry to be such a downer, but I would strongly recommend returning this tab it you can -- or AT LEAST exchanging it for another, as it doesn't appear that ALL purchasers have this defect; only the unlucky ones.

Good Luck

0ns

Sep 25, 2011
To answer your question: No, you aren't missing anything, this is a fairly common defect (hardware problem) these devices have (as evidenced in the forum complaints). As far as I know, the only way to deal with it is to do a battery pull.

Unfortunately these tabs are sort of pieces of crap. I really liked mine, but I had a host of reoccuring hardware problems that many other purchasers like you have or had. They all got worse over time and increased in frequency. Mine rarely did that (turned off with lights still on) when I first bought it; but it happened more and more often over time, always requiring a battery pull. I had mine shut off properly for a week. Then I turned it on a week ago -- and nothing. Won't turn on. Lights flash and haptic feedback buzzes--simultaneously--every few seconds -- as if it is trying to turn on, but can't. I wanted to send it to Huawei under their warranty, but I have no idea if they will honor it, or what their remedy would be, or how long it will take. Further, since I can't turn it on, I can't erase all my personal account information (gmail, facebook, etc) before I send it in. So I trashed the thing. It was a fun couple of months, but in the end I really regretted the purchase, since it was a total loss for me.

Sorry to be such a downer, but I would strongly recommend returning this tab it you can -- or AT LEAST exchanging it for another, as it doesn't appear that ALL purchasers have this defect; only the unlucky ones.

Good Luck

It just happened to me, i read your post and i thought "Damn, i have a brick"... but i did this following steps and my ideos is working again...

1.-take the battery of the tablet.
2.-Connect the tablet (without battery) to the AC adaptor.
3.-It´s going to turn on as it would normally.
4.-Once it´s on, you can work on it, or delete your personal info... at this point i placed the battery on the tablet (while connected and running), 2 minutes after, the battery started charging...
5.-I waited to full charge and well, it´s working again.

Maybe we shouldn´t left the battery depleted.

Hope that this info helps someone. It worked to me. And maybe if you still have your device you can sello it, or give ir to a younger brother, or children.