Hypertab EP72028 Chinese Tablet -- Battery Replacement?

wobblerlorri

Oct 16, 2011
I have a crappy little HyperTab -- DualCore-A23 processor, model EP72028, Android 4.2.2, kernel version 3.4.39 builder@Exdroid #8, build #polaris_chiphd-eng 4.2.2 JD039.

My issue is that the battery won't hold a charge for long. I can charge it to 100% and then after just a couple of hours reading (about all I use it for is as an e-reader because it's lighter than a real e-reader) the battery is down to 65%. I can get maybe 2 days out of a charge. Most times it doesn't even charge to 100% -- it charges to 88 to 98%.

I'm using Battery Doctor, the free version. Sometimes using its charging mode will charge to 100%, most times only to 97%. I've actually seen it drain the battery 2 to 3% during the trickle phase! I always turn off those annoying apps that run in the background, and I have background data disabled.

I don't have this tablet on my mobile network, and I rarely connect to wifi. I connect usually just to update my apps and sync the time with the atomic clock. I have my reader app (CoolReader) set with a black background and white print. I always turn off those annoying apps that run in the background, and I have background data disabled.

So I'm wondering -- do I need to replace the battery? Should I bite the bullet and get a better (read: more expensive) tablet? Drop back down to an e-reader? Give it all up and go back to using the library for dead tree books?

If I replace the battery, any idea what I should get? I've looked on Google, but can't find any suggestions for a compatible battery. I don't want to brick my tablet by (a) getting the wrong battery or (b) opening it up and finding out the battery isn't replaceable and I've bricked the tab by opening it in the first place. Of course we're only talking $50 or so for the tab, but still...

edap

Dec 12, 2012
If you decide to replace the battery, you may need a technician to help you. In my mind, the risk isn't worth the effort. I would keep using the same tablet and recharge when required.

wobblerlorri

Oct 16, 2011
Well, I'm pretty tech savvy -- been building computers for about 20 years, and repairing laptops for 5. I've also watched videos for replacing batteries on other tablets, and it doesn't look too hard. I'm just worried about getting the wrong battery.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
The only hard part is prying it apart without breaking anything.:rolleyes: After that it's cut two wires and solder two wires.