I'm so confused... looking for these features

androidcat

Feb 22, 2011
Hello All, I’ve been searching for a tablet and the more research I do the more confused I get!

Here is what I want:
  • 7-ish inch screen
  • Able to play flv videos
  • Must be fast enough to play videos smoothly
  • Must have a SD, Micro-SD or other Flash card expansion slot
  • Access to the Android app store
  • G-sensors
  • Android 2.2 or better

Nice to have
  • Wifi
  • High res screen
  • USB port
  • Android 3.0

Don’t want:
  • Having to buy a cellular contract

Don’t need (but don’t care):
  • Camera
  • Web cam
Ok, here is where it gets a little harder, looking to spend $200-300.

Any recommendations?

-Brian

androidcat

Feb 22, 2011
Dpakrr: thanks for your response but the nook doesn’t do almost anything on my want list, and honeycomb is the lowest item on my nice to have list

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Here is what I want:

• 7-ish inch screen
  • Able to play flv videos *why? just convert the videos*
  • Must be fast enough to play videos smoothly *get a class 10 micro-sd card and your fine*
  • Must have a SD, Micro-SD or other Flash card expansion slot *micro-sd*
  • Access to the Android app store
  • G-sensors *Not sure*
  • Android 2.2 or better

Nice to have

• Wifi
  • High res screen *Not sure*
  • Android 3.0 *Will eventually have*

Nookcolor has pretty much all of the above. See my comments for some.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
A rooted Nook Color is much closer than you think.

Hello All, I’ve been searching for a tablet and the more research I do the more confused I get!

Here is what I want:
  • 7-ish inch screen NookColor has a 7" screen
  • Able to play flv videos easily convert videos
  • Must be fast enough to play videos smoothly plays videos just fine
  • Must have a SD, Micro-SD or other Flash card expansion slotMicro SD Slot supports up to 32GB Class 10 card
  • Access to the Android app storeYep, got that too
  • G-sensorsThe NookColor does have an accelerometer
  • Android 2.2 or better I am currently running Android Froyo and looking to install a ROM to take me to Gingerbread

Nice to have
  • Wifi It has Wifi
  • High res screen1024x600 on a 7" tablet with 160 Pixel Density
  • USB port Its charge/data port is a mini-usb
  • Android 3.0COMING SOON! :)

Don’t want:
  • Having to buy a cellular contract Can't get it with a data contract if you wanted one

Don’t need (but don’t care):
  • Camera
  • Web cam neither of these are on the Nook Color
Ok, here is where it gets a little harder, looking to spend $200-300. Split the difference at $250.00

Any recommendations?

-Brian

Don't discount the NookColor because it is being released by B&N...it has great build quality, is incredibly versatile, and for the price (or anything even close to it) you won't find a better device.

androidcat

Feb 22, 2011
Thank you again guys, this has been helpful (especially Vic\Darmeen). I was and _am_ a little scared about having to "root" this device but I will read about the process and see if its something i can handle.

On the note about flv videos I've already converted all of my old movies to flv, it took for ever :( -- I don't want to have to convert them back. But if I have access to the app store can I not just download a video player that supports flv's?

Can anyone point me to sites that explain the process. If I understand (and I probably don't) rooting is replacing the installed operating system (a limited by mfg) with a different version (stock android)? If this is correct can I install 3.0?

-Brian

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Brian, you don't need another site, just drop down to the Nook Forums right here on Androidtablets.net
Nook

We have all kinds of threads talking about the different things you can do with the NookColor.

Rooting isn't as scary as it sounds...the NookColor is almost unbrickable! (we have had people come on the forums with 'It won't turn on, my NC is bricked' and before long, they are cruisin along, all fixed)

The NookColor community here is AWESOME, and we can point you in 10 different directions (after you get the basics first of course)

Honeycomb is not a viable 'daily driver' YET. We did get a preview that was put together by deeper-blue on the XDA forums (he pieced together a functional OS from the Preview SDK Emulator)

I am currently running a stable Froyo ROM on my NC, and the developers are working on Gingerbread OS ROM's and releasing daily beta's...

I may be bias, but that doesn't make me wrong ;)

androidcat

Feb 22, 2011
ok, it was a lot easer then i thought it would be got it rooted with auto-rooter 3 -- i think I'm going to try the Froyo ROM :)