Is there a better 10" tablet with full sized USB than the Thrive?

futurehermit

Nov 24, 2011
I'm looking for a 10" tablet that has a full sized USB on the tablet itself (I really regret that the Asus Prime won't have that). I've been looking favourably at the Toshiba Thrive, but have been scared off it a bit due to reading about it having a sleep-wake 'disorder' -- does anyone know if that has been fixed? I want full sized USB so I can use peripherals (e.g., external DVD, external hard drive, etc.) without requiring a keyboard docking station, like the Prime. I'm willing to hold off until after Christmas this year because I'd like to get one that has Android 4.0, but haven't seen one yet that has a full sized USB (preferably more than 1). Any advice would be appreciated (I've also posted a full length post about what I would use it for in the main stickied thread). Thanks!

RobKort

Nov 23, 2011
I'm looking for a 10" tablet that has a full sized USB on the tablet itself (I really regret that the Asus Prime won't have that). I've been looking favourably at the Toshiba Thrive, but have been scared off it a bit due to reading about it having a sleep-wake 'disorder' -- does anyone know if that has been fixed? I want full sized USB so I can use peripherals (e.g., external DVD, external hard drive, etc.) without requiring a keyboard docking station, like the Prime. I'm willing to hold off until after Christmas this year because I'd like to get one that has Android 4.0, but haven't seen one yet that has a full sized USB (preferably more than 1). Any advice would be appreciated (I've also posted a full length post about what I would use it for in the main stickied thread). Thanks!

The Asus Transformer has a full size USB port, and is has been anouced that it will be updated to ICS.

futurehermit

Nov 24, 2011
Thanks! I think the Thrive looks a bit better, but it's nice to see another one with a full USB.

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
But does it perform better?

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Android Tablet Forum

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
That is an interesting comparison. Is there much of a difference in price?

RobKort

Nov 23, 2011
That is an interesting comparison. Is there much of a difference in price?

The A500 is $20-$30 more than the Thrive in all internal storage sizes, but with a better battery life is really nothing to worry about. I think that are both evenly match but my money goes to the A500, that's just me though. ;)

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
Same here. I never checked out the Thrive though, and others might have other preferences.

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
The ASUS Eee Pad Slider also has a full-size USB port, but is 3mm thicker than the already-thick Thrive. It does have the slide-out keyboard, though, which is supposedly quite sturdy. That would be a great alternative if you like the keyboard.

I myself would never consider the Thrive as it is so thick and heavy while only really offering 1 USB port and a full-size HDMI (which is a bit pointless as most tablets already have mini-HDMI, and you can get the cables super cheap on eBay). It just seems like a poor balance of design. The A500 is quite a bit better IMO, I just don't like the Thrive.

Also, I thought I should mention that (as far as I know) Android devices cannot use CD/DVD drives, even Honeycomb. They don't mount the drives properly. There is actually a request for the feature on the Google feature request forums.

If I may ask, why wouldn't the USB port on the Prime's keyboard dock work? Is it due to portability concerns, cost, do you simply think it would be tedious to dock/undock when you want to use it?

Also, I know of no Android tablet with 2 USB ports, unless you count the 2 on the original Transformer's keyboard dock.

futurehermit

Nov 24, 2011
I've really liked what I've read about the Thrive and have ordered an 8GB version which went on sale for 319.99 at BestBuy in Canada.

myadtviola

Nov 25, 2011
Hi, I am new to this forum... I have ordered a Thrive from Amazon which will, hopefully, arrive end of the week. Very excited.
I wanted a tablet for writing, reading with full android capacity. Since this will be my first I can't compare, vis a vis weight.
I had thought to get a Samsung through T-Mobile but coverage in my area us horrible so it didn't make sense to go into contract at this time.
Anyway... will report upon arrival.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Android Tablet Forum