ISSUE: Icons disappear from desktop.

strider_mt2k

Nov 22, 2010
I'm starting to be annoyed by a problem where all of my desktop icons disappear after running an app or just by themselves.

This is with the stock UI and also with Launcher Pro.

Things seem to be running okay despite that, but it's big time annoying, because the only fix I've found is a restart.

It's probably the biggest problem I have right now, which says good things about this tablet, really.

I'm getting ready to start uninstalling things (like autokiller) to find out, but in the mean time I'm checking settings.

Last edited:

bobwho

Dec 18, 2010
Hi,

I found it occurs less with launcher pro and also restores itself half the time,

happens more often when you go into an app, rotate the screen to read the app and then when u exit the rotation is different and causes launcher to freak out.

Test yourself and report. : )
Bobwho

Sent from my Android for Telechips TCC8900 Release Board (US) using Android Tablet Forum App

strider_mt2k

Nov 22, 2010
Thanks for responding!
I was beginning to think that maybe I needed to do a factory restore and build the system up again, but I'd like to avoid that. (sounds way too much like work ;) )

I have seen it straighten itself out a few times since I reported this too.

I wonder if the cause is worth pursuing or just a glitch common to our tablets?

bobwho

Dec 18, 2010
Yeah its common alright, people blame many things, but who knows if its memory related. I think everyone is just gonna put up with it until froyo is out.

I also found rotating it lots in a row real fast looses icons too, like after dropping it in your lap...

Sent from my Android for Telechips TCC8900 Release Board (US) using Android Tablet Forum App

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
this is a issue with all android devices it was really bad on my droid 1, the more things you have running and the more widgets and shortcuts you have on your homescreenS the slower they will be to load. all of that stuff is just bugging your system done. some tricks would be dont have so many widgets on your home screens and try to keep them clean as possible. also try different launchers like adw and tag home. let me know if those tricks help

strider_mt2k

Nov 22, 2010
Okay, sounds good.
I'll try unloading a couple of things one at a time (Weather Channel and Google search bar widget seem like good candidates) and see how it goes.

Just yesterday it happened when rotating, and then once right before my eyes, that stuff just disappeared.

Good to know I have some things I can try. You folks rock!

Did I mention happy new year?

Last edited:

strider_mt2k

Nov 22, 2010
I started my removing the "Weather Channel".
I've had Watchdog complain about it's resource usage in the past.
The Google search bar is the only widget I use and I've left it alone for now to keep variables to a minimum while I watch what happens here.

It's early yet, but i haven't seen the phenomena occur since I removed TWC.

strider_mt2k

Nov 22, 2010
After fiddling with different things it looks like...nothing changes it.

-it just kind of happens. A restart clears it up of course.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Have you tried persistence settings with different Launchers?

I have 1 homescreen 4x6 on my X5A with Zeam, and don't notice this behavior, by the way. 4 widgets (Retroclock time + date, Curvefish wifi switch, News and Weather)

mELIANTE

Dec 1, 2010
Had this happening to me earlier this week after medling with the system. What I did was go to settings, applications, manage applications and selected the launcher. There I cleared data and force closed it. I had to put it the way it was before it started acting up, since it went back to default shortcuts and widgets, but it went back to normal after that :)

Seent from my M701 tablet using Tapatalk.

strider_mt2k

Nov 22, 2010
Have you tried persistence settings with different Launchers?

I'm not sure what you mean by persistence settings. Can you expand on that?

Had this happening to me earlier this week after medling with the system. What I did was go to settings, applications, manage applications and selected the launcher. There I cleared data and force closed it.

I just did that. We'll see how it goes.

wmwinn

Aug 22, 2010
I've had luck using Advanced Task Killer to kill all programs in memory..... that always brings the home screen icons back. I'm using Launcher Pro.

strider_mt2k

Nov 22, 2010
I've had luck using Advanced Task Killer to kill all programs in memory..... that always brings the home screen icons back. I'm using Launcher Pro.

Not a bad idea either, although I seem to have an "on again-off again" relationship with that app.
I've re-installed it.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. This site is awesome and you folks are why.

strider_mt2k

Nov 22, 2010
Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I finally realized that the icons blanking out was happening specifically when the screen was being rotated.
Seeing as I seldom use portrait mode, I simply turned off Auto-Rotation and the problem has gone away since.

I think it's related to the machine having to remap the screen on rotation and not being able to deal with it properly for some reason.

If it occurs again I'll update this thread, but I'm thinking this has nailed it.