Keeping WiFi on - Advance Wifi Lock

tenderidol

Feb 14, 2011
At home, I am perfectly happy with the wireless connection of my NC. Sometimes it takes few seconds to re-connect after a standby, but it works fine. However, at work, the connection is finicky (i.e., I have to wait for a log-in screen to pop up to enter my username/password, and that screen doesn't always come instantaneously), therefore I've been looking for an app to keep the WiFi on after a standby, so that once I am connected at work, it will stay that way... I've tried number of apps/widgets for this purpose, but found out that they dont really provide many customizations (at least the ones I've used).

I decided to give "Advanced Wifi Lock" a try, and it works great on NC and keeps the WiFi on after standby. In addition, there are two functions that set it apart from the others that I've tried:
1. You can setup a defined period of time for the WiFi to be turned off. The free version is set to 20min default and can't be changed; paid version apparently provides full control over this.
2. The app turns off WiFi if the signal is lost (i.e., you are not connected to the network, anymore) which is a good function when leaving home or work and not dealing with turning off any WiFi-related app which will eat up battery.

Just wanted to share this app with others, since it doesn't seem to get much press (no, I'm not affiliated with the developer).

Last edited:

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
Wake Timer similar app. Does the job for me.

KDOG

Dec 29, 2010
Giving the Advanced WiFi Lock a shot now...

EDIT: Meh, doesn't do anything on my rig. Still have to go connect manually.

Last edited:

richardop

Feb 17, 2011
Giving the Advanced WiFi Lock a shot now...

EDIT: Meh, doesn't do anything on my rig. Still have to go connect manually.

After you're done with the settings screen, do you press the "home" button? Or did you press the back button, or menu/save [softkeys?]?
If you just press Home, it won't work.

Does the app say "Settings saved"?

Last edited: