Kindle Fire and Nook Tablet: Not quite as open as we thought

tonyp

Nov 1, 2011
Damn. And everybody was thinking the Fire was going to be harder to open up. It looks like Amazon just gave they keys away on that one while B&N pulled back from their previous products.

Does this also mean that it wil be harder to get a CM7/CM9 load on a mirco SD to work as an alternate OS?

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
everybody was thinking the Fire was going to be harder to open up.

That's because of the flap everyone made about them selling the Fire below cost. How were they going to make their money? Obvious answer, by locking you into buying all of your apps, books, music etc. from them. Now, it's looking to me like they're using this tablet to establish market presence for future tablets and possibly for the Amazon phone they're coming out with. Kinda like free samples, but not quite free.:)

Does this also mean that it will be harder to get a CM7/CM9 load on a mirco SD to work

JP will probably get into this in depth, he knows a lot more about this booting from an SD stuff. To me, they'd be locking the front door and leaving the back door open if it didn't.:cool:

Last edited:

tonyp

Nov 1, 2011
I went over to the XDA Developers Forums and read through it. Frustrating for NT owners.

JArmandB

Jul 13, 2011
Guys, a little patience. The NT has been out less than a week. Root has been achieved on other devices with signed bootloaders.