Kobo Vox time!

Marcintouch

Oct 28, 2011
I think I might be one of the first people in Canada, and consequently in the world, to have one of the new Kobo Vox e-reader tablets. I already have a Galaxy S2 phone and an iPad, so I am pretty familiar with both setups. You get what you pay for with the Vox -- it's affordable for a reason -- but I haven't spent enough time with it to decide yet if it is worth the money and time or not.

The first thing that is very galling and that I cannot figure out how to solve yet is that I cannot add my Google account to the "Accounts & Sync" section under Settings. Consequently, while I can install Market, YouTube and other apps, none of them work because they cannot access my non-existent Google account. This makes the Vox very limited as an Android tablet replacement... for now.

If anyone lands on this thread while searching for the Vox, let's start a new thread on it and share what we have learned!

Thanks,
Marcintouch.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi Marc, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new tablet. I'm moving your post to the Android Tablet Q&A section to increase the likelihood someone will come across it and get together with you.

kobolover

Nov 2, 2011
Just purchased the new Kobo Vox and while it has great usage, not able to download books from our local public library. Kobo aware of problem as everyone calling them to complain. Also find that the power cord is just way too short (approx. 38 inches). A battery life of 7 hours not enough so need the power cord while reading. Can't afford buying books all the time as I take less than 2 days to read a novel. Hoping they will fix issues asap as I am giving my Kobo touch screen to granddaughter for Christmas and can't be without loads of reading material for myself!!

jo_ottawa

Nov 4, 2011
:)Good morning,

I received the Kobo Vox on Monday, Oct 31. I set it up quickly, went to Google signed in and was able to access YouTube immediately - already on the device. Know someone who bought one that didn't work well and she had to return it. Perhaps you had a faulty tablet? I set up email and that went quickly and works great. Tuesday evening decided to download library books, as I always use the library. I was unable to but assumed that it was my inexperience, first e-book. Wednesday, failed at my attempts again so I physically went to Chapters and the Kobo sales rep told me to go my library, which I did. The library resource person said they did not have the info yet but gave me the direction for the Kobo Touch. It was exactly what I had tried, do unistalled and re-installed Adobe Digital Editions, still no luck. Finally decided on Thursday to call Kobo customer service. The woman notifed me that you cannot download library books on the Kobo Vox! I was astonished. It was the reason I went for the Kobo as members of my family have previous versions of Kobo solely for that reason. I called Kok a second time to be certain this was really the case case and this time the service rep told me that at this time you cannot transfer library books but they are looking in to it. I asked him if it was a faulty software issue or they had not intended to offer this service and are receiving complaints. I also asked how long are we talking until they correct this. :confused: He was unable to answer any of the questions. I am returning the Kobo Vox today. When it is library compatible I will buy it, or perhaps this forum will convince me to try something else. My guess is that they tried to roll out a Kindle type tablet with no intention of giving access to outside libraries. BTW, the free books are terrible, unless you are into old English classics or romance novels. If you look at the Kobo site for the Vox it tells you only how to go to the Kobo library and when you look a the Kobo Touch it tells you how to download public library books.

On the Kobo Vox the connection to Wifi is so fast, I could check mail so quickly, colors great, put photos on it (on my attempt to figure out how to transfer) - and they looked great. If not for the inablity to add library books - I would have been very happy with it. Hope they add that feature. I am more than annoyed that I wasted so many hours. :mad: I am usually not one of the first to get something, think I will stick to waiting until a product is tested or about to be replaced as is my normal behavior! Thanks, have a great day. Joanne

kobolover

Nov 2, 2011
Thanks for your info, Joanne.
I have been on phone with rep from Chapters and he informed me that the problem with downloading from public libraries should be resolved by Kobo in about 3 weeks. I returned the Vox this morning anyway as I found it to be too heavy to hold for myself. Bought the Kobo Touch screen ereader for grand daughter and will keep on with my own machine. It is so very easy to download the books from library and certainly lighter to hold. Us Seniors need all the help we can get. Now I have to find out if I can hook up the Touch reader directly with hydro so that I don't have to recharge via computer.

soapergrl

Nov 20, 2011
Hi everyone. This is my first post here. I got a vox on my birthday and wanted to download from the library. If you google search there is way it can be done. I have been reading this past few weeks from the library, once you find books that are available. I can go and find the link. You have to download the overdrive app and get the books through there. I just wanted you to know not to give up hope , it can be done.
I am really enjoying mine as well as the wifi!

litehearted

Nov 20, 2011
cannot add my Google account to the "Accounts & Sync" section under Settings. Consequently, while I can install Market, YouTube and other apps, none of them work because they cannot access my non-existent Google account. This makes the Vox very limited as an Android tablet replacement... for now.

If anyone lands on this thread while searching for the Vox, let's start a new thread on it /QUOTE]

Having same issue. Email works great, but no way to import contacts - VOX insisting on MS Exchange. PLUS downloaded books from nook but cant figure out how to get them in the kobovox library...andis anyoneelsefinding
it apain to type on thevox? Space button does notseem to work unlestyou hit three times...who has time for tha