Kyros 9742 Stuck on Setup Wizard. Can't access ADB

kylatay

Jan 10, 2013
Thanks for your help! I've been googling and working on this all day. (Coby Kyros 9742)

I installed a bad set "gapps" through the system file using RootExporer. So I changed the system files. When I went in to do a factory reset now the tablet keeps getting hung-up at the Setup Wizard. So I believe the stock rom on the tablet is trying to install with the bad gapps.

I have no problem getting into Recovery Mode. I have tried to install the stock rom from here using the Recovery but of course it doesn't work without CWM Recovery. I can't install CWM because I can't access ADB, because debugging mode is off and I have no way to turn it on. I can't find anything about how to install off of SD only ADB.

Also, when it's hung on Setup Wizard, I can access through USB to see the internal sd just fine. And external SD works.

Any idea? Thanks
:confused:

Edited: I think I put this in the wrong subforum.

Last edited:

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Did you make a system dump before you attempted to install the Google apps?

If not, you should have. In any case, you can try one of the system dumps in the Development Index. There is a link to instructions in that sticky post that should allow you to recover to stock. I am curious however as to why you decided that using Root explorer to install the Google apps was a better method than installing ClockworkMod and then flashing the 20120429 flashable zip from Goo.im Downloads - Browsing gapps through it.

kylatay

Jan 10, 2013
Honestly, I didn't know any better. I don't have a system dump. My kids got tablets for Christmas and the other 2 (D2 and Proscan) worked fine when using RootExplorer. This one didn't have any gapps. (the other 2 all I had to do was copy the play.apk to the system file)

Don't you have to have ADB access or CWM to return to stock from the stickies? I have no way to do either. I could really use help...

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
You actually have to have both. Since you don't have CWM, that will present a pretty significant problem.

Where does the tablet get stuck in the setup?

kylatay

Jan 10, 2013
It gets stuck at the Startup Wizard when entering in the time. It says "Unforturnately, Setup Wizard has stopped." Then it just keeps trying to get me to install the date and time. Then loops to "setup wizard has stopped. Endless loop.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
It's pretty much the only option left to you. You can't do any worse so....

kylatay

Jan 10, 2013
Ok, it took me a while, but I was able to find (elsewhere) and download LiveSuitPack_v1.07.rar and cfw_coby_9742-4.0.3_0.1.zip In this situation I needed those files, because my tablet was pretty much "soft bricked". Then I followed the tutorial by Steev. It took a few trys and some prayers, but it worked. The camera isn't working. I am just so happy it's not bricked.

Hope that helps someone out there. In my broken situation this thread saved my bacon.... http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...y-kyros-9742-rooted-deodexed-google-play.html

Last edited: