LATEST FIRMWARE FOR U9 GT - Rockchip 2918

phat

Dec 27, 2011
I have also tried the drivers on an old Centrino with 32bit XP installed where the tablet shows up as a "rk2918 sdk". I tried installing every version of the driver AMD and Intel driver with no luck. Very strange.

phat

Dec 27, 2011
Ok I finally got it working! My problem was related to the tablet being in Development mode in the settings. My mistake... SORRY! On the W7 i7 64bit used the AMD driver and got it to work. Loaded the U9GT2_V4.0.3_20111229 file and managed to switch it to English since default is Chinese. Very nice... BUT no Market!!! That sucks big time.

Later on will try and load the earlier BETA version of the ICS 4.0 and see if the Market is working.

dropletguy

Dec 8, 2011
Thanks to all you PROs who made this work!!

daleylay: If you're having trouble installing the drivers: 1. Open the unpacked 'Driver' folder, then the appropriate folder for your PC's cpu ('amd64' for AMD cpus or 'x86' for Intel chips), then find the folder for the version of Windows your PC is running (for example 'xp') and make sure there are three files in this folder: rockusb.cat, rocksub.inf and rockusb.sys. If these files aren't there, then the Windows New Hardware Wizard has no driver to install. Go back and download the original firmware update tool and grab these files. 2. if you partially installed the RockUSB drivers and something went wrong (the first time I got TWO removable media devices to show up for the U9GT), go to the Device Manager (RIGHT click on the icon of your computer and select "Manage...") and see if the U9GT shows up with a yellow caution (!) icon on it. If so, UNINSTALL the thing. Then try the driver installation procedure again.

BTW, when I updated the firmware using U9GT's pre-rooted .img file, it worked perfectly and took LESS than 4 minutes! I was at first scared that the process went TOO fast, but my little tablet happily rebooted and the SuperUser Icon was right where it should be (yay!).

dropletguy

Dec 8, 2011
Just learned the hard way that you need to know which model you have before trying to upgrade the firmware. When I first updated the firmware, I didn't realize I had a U9GTS_A. So using the firmware for the U9GT v1.12 messed up my WiFi ('Error' when I tried to turn it on after reboot).

Look at the serial number stamped on the back of the tablet to determine which model you have:

S/N: U9GT8GB = U9GT
S/N: U9GTS8GB = U9GTS
S/N: U9GTSA8GB = U9GTS_A

(And updating the firmware changes the "Model number" info in the "About device" menu to the firmware's target model, so this isn't fixed.)

Hope this helps save some headaches / panic attacks....

Meeshka

Jan 31, 2012
I am the owner of X10 AirPad 7". It is very close with U9 with its characteristics. Except I see DDR3 written in mine (which I doubt). I wanted to test Android 4 on this tablet. I can see some users here (phat i.e.) wrote something about beta versions of Android 4. I'd like to try to flash my x10 with ICS to see if it can properly handle it :)
Is there a link to beta ICS for U9? :)