Le Pan S Battery Issue: (Don't run device below 20%)

TonyRayJones

Jan 31, 2013
I'm posting the links to a forum posting about battery issues with the Le Pan S.
Links to the original discussion are below.

From LePanLife Forums.com:

About two weeks ago I started a survey to get a handle on this problem. It appears that charging the Le Pans is the number one issue with the device.

Here is the recommendation:
When you device is at 30% plug in the charger.
Add Battery HD and set an alarm at 30%.
At minimum sleep your tablet to fully charge, or turn it off.
Google Lithium Ion batteries and read about how to charge them, what are the key parameters to keep track of and be informed.

Here is an explanation of what I see in reading posts and dealing with this issue:
There has been a rash of users who have been draining the Le Pan battery, finding that the device will not easily charge and therefore will not turn back on. There are many questions posted on this.

The Le Pan S will not power up if the battery is below (35% per my measurements on one unit). It will just give two short vibrations when the power key is pressed.

Many folks are applying a NiCad battery discharging strategy to these tablets. NiCad batteries are not used in these devices and so this discharge strategy appears to be causing the charger or cable to fail. The device uses Lithium Ion batteries. Lithium Ion batteries do not have memory and do not need to be drained to prolong life.

One forum member suggested freezing the charger and the person having the issue froze the cable and found the problem was resolved. The forum member pointed out that a thermal trip may have occurred and freezing would help reset it; it may also improve the charger's performance.

Lastly, take a look at you 30 pin connector and you will see very small pins that are used to provide the power for the charger. They are so small you will have trouble seeing them. Imagine that over 2 amps of current is going through those pins, not advisable but that is the design as it stands (yes there are two power pins but still they are likely at their limit).

page 1
NOTE: Advice On Charging: Don't run device below 20%

Page 2

Page 3

page 4

KingTei

Jan 31, 2013
I'm posting the links to a forum posting about battery issues with the Le Pan S.
Links to the original discussion are below.

From LePanLife Forums.com:

About two weeks ago I started a survey to get a handle on this problem. It appears that charging the Le Pans is the number one issue with the device.

Here is the recommendation:
When you device is at 30% plug in the charger.
Add Battery HD and set an alarm at 30%.
At minimum sleep your tablet to fully charge, or turn it off.
Google Lithium Ion batteries and read about how to charge them, what are the key parameters to keep track of and be informed.

Here is an explanation of what I see in reading posts and dealing with this issue:
There has been a rash of users who have been draining the Le Pan battery, finding that the device will not easily charge and therefore will not turn back on. There are many questions posted on this.

The Le Pan S will not power up if the battery is below (35% per my measurements on one unit). It will just give two short vibrations when the power key is pressed.

Many folks are applying a NiCad battery discharging strategy to these tablets. NiCad batteries are not used in these devices and so this discharge strategy appears to be causing the charger or cable to fail. The device uses Lithium Ion batteries. Lithium Ion batteries do not have memory and do not need to be drained to prolong life.

One forum member suggested freezing the charger and the person having the issue froze the cable and found the problem was resolved. The forum member pointed out that a thermal trip may have occurred and freezing would help reset it; it may also improve the charger's performance.

Lastly, take a look at you 30 pin connector and you will see very small pins that are used to provide the power for the charger. They are so small you will have trouble seeing them. Imagine that over 2 amps of current is going through those pins, not advisable but that is the design as it stands (yes there are two power pins but still they are likely at their limit).

page 1

Page 2

Page 3

page 4

Hello Tony Ray Jones and all Le Pan users,

Everyone I need your assistance.

My Le Pan has been OK until the past two days when it went off and hasn't come back on. I've tried to hold down the power button and press down the reset hole with a toothpick at the same time (as I read on the net) but I haven't been lucky.

Please someone help me. I'd be extremely grateful!

TonyRayJones

Jan 31, 2013
I've yet to experience any problem with my tablet, but here's a few things I found in other forums to try:

Try pressing the reset button and power button at once, people have said that if their tablet is charged but wont respond
this could work.

People's tablets that are unresponsive and won't charge have said putting the charger and cable in the freezer for a while

some how has worked.

Also if the tablet is unresponsive and won't charge - Unplug/replug the device frequently during charging cycle until full.

Might want to also try leaving it plugged in over night or longer could work.

http://www.lepantab.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=section&layout=blog&id=5&Itemid=2

chuck3565

Apr 5, 2011
Thanks a lot TonyRayJones, I'm on it. I'll keep you posted.

I had this problem from the first time I used the tablet. When it wouldn't start at the 40% charge mark, I plugged the charger in until the tablet started, then unplugged the charger. I then ran the tablet down to 10% and recharged. After doing this a few times, the tablet will fire up now at under 20% charge. Chuck

KingTei

Jan 31, 2013
Hello TonyRayJones and everyone,

I've run out of options in trying to recharge and LePan is yet to get back to me. However I've resolved to buying a new battery. Does anyone know where I can get one?

Thanks